100% Babassu vs Coconut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexanderMakesSoap

Reaction score
I tried my 100% organic, refined babassu bar today for the first time (20% SF with some lemongrass EO) and directly compared it to my 100% Coconut (aslo 20% SF) - they're quite similar, as you might expect, though not quite the same. To me the babassu is a bit foamier whereas the coconut is slightly bubblier, though these aren't major differences.

Overall, it seems like a nice bar of soap. Very hard, as expected, and cutting my 5+ week old bar in half with my cheese cutter resulted in uneven slice.

I didn't try it on my face.

I also compared these to my 90 coconut 10% Shea (15% SF) soap. This soap is just as bubbly, perhaps more so, and lathery as the other two, but somehow seems richer. Though again, not huge differences.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone's interested.

We don't use palm or animal products in our items, so it's just coconut or babassu for us! Our babassu is definitely more expensive than coconut, but at 20 cent per ounce premium, it's just a bit of a price bump per bar and there are many out there who either don't like or have skin issues with coconut, so I figure it's a good ingredient to play around with for us.

Then that's what works for you. I've had exactly 2 customers in 9 years that had an issue with CO.

In general, I suppose, that's typically how it works - we do do what works for us!

While we've had quite a few more than 2 customers have issues with coconut oil, it's certainly still a small percentage of our shoppers.

The biggest difference in soap is Babassu is much more costly to use Babassu. I prefer to use CO/PKO split. Where Babassu shines is in lotions and leave-on products. There is also a nice natural deodorant that uses Babassu.
I still have not used babassu in a body butter whip but with lotion, I agree.

Babassu is from a wild palm in Africa, not a palm plantation in Southeast Asia. Supposedly, there is “sustainable palm” from Asia, but the palm plantations still cut down forests. In Africa, the cattlemen fight with Babassu harvesters for land. It’s just personal belief. I support Babassu, but use Coconut too. A nice cleansing combo is both plus Murumuru. Once again, I’m not worried about profit, just fun!

Same here, I am not even sure if I have had 2 customers in over 10 yrs. FYI, not to sound snippy, but Babassu is a type of Palm... :p

Coconut is a type of palm as well! So there you go. But most understand what is meant when a company refers to their products being palm-free.

Babassu is from a wild palm in Africa, not a palm plantation in Southeast Asia. Supposedly, there is “sustainable palm” from Asia, but the palm plantations still cut down forests. In Africa, the cattlemen fight with Babassu harvesters for land. It’s just personal belief. I support Babassu, but use Coconut too. A nice cleansing combo is both plus Murumuru. Once again, I’m not worried about profit, just fun!

I keep meaning to try murumuru - it is rather pricey though!

Well, I am one of those people who cannot use CO in anything. It drives me WILD with itching and dry skin, even in very small percentages. I only make soap for personal use, so the small added expense of using babassu is worth it for me.

Well, I am one of those people who cannot use CO in anything. It drives me WILD with itching and dry skin, even in very small percentages. I only make soap for personal use, so the small added expense of using babassu is worth it for me.

Yeah, I think there are more like you out there than some seem to think! We make it known that we can customize our cosmetic line and get quite a few requests for coconut oil substitution (though still a small overall percentage of customers...).

Yeah, I think there are more like you out there than some seem to think! We make it known that we can customize our cosmetic line and get quite a few requests for coconut oil substitution (though still a small overall percentage of customers...).
I admit that I have sensitive skin that reacts to a lot of things, and that's the reason that I started making soap. I also have sensitivities to lots of fragrance oils. When I first started making soap, I enjoyed concocting complex recipes and fragrances, but soon figured out what I needed was a simple soap. Now that's all I make, and I am a happy camper. I think you are right, there are more of us than you think. That's why some people buy one bar and never return for another. I think it's smart to offer customization!

I admit that I have sensitive skin that reacts to a lot of things, and that's the reason that I started making soap. I also have sensitivities to lots of fragrance oils. When I first started making soap, I enjoyed concocting complex recipes and fragrances, but soon figured out what I needed was a simple soap. Now that's all I make, and I am a happy camper. I think you are right, there are more of us than you think. That's why some people buy one bar and never return for another. I think it's smart to offer customization!

While I don't think we'll be customizing soaps, we will try and offer a wide variety of options, including coconut oil free.

It's actually quite interesting - all the different things that bother various people's skin and the requests we've received.

There are all the typical irritants that we don't use (artificial fragrances, preservatives, alcohols, colorants...etc), but we've also had customers, or at least a customer, who is bothered by nearly every ingredient we use (coconut oil, Shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax (we offer candelilla as a substitute), sunflower oil, rosehip seed oil, argan oil, lavender essential oil, any essential oil, vitamin E, macadamia nut oil...that's just off the top of head. You can probably find someone's skin that doesn't like just about any ingredient you can think of!

While I don't think we'll be customizing soaps, we will try and offer a wide variety of options, including coconut oil free.

It's actually quite interesting - all the different things that bother various people's skin and the requests we've received.

There are all the typical irritants that we don't use (artificial fragrances, preservatives, alcohols, colorants...etc), but we've also had customers, or at least a customer, who is bothered by nearly every ingredient we use (coconut oil, Shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax (we offer candelilla as a substitute), sunflower oil, rosehip seed oil, argan oil, lavender essential oil, any essential oil, vitamin E, macadamia nut oil...that's just off the top of head. You can probably find someone's skin that doesn't like just about any ingredient you can think of!
I had a patient (I'm a registered nurse) several years ago that was allergic to water! I have never seen that before or since - we bathed him with baby wipes. And even that gave him a slight rash.

You can be allergic to anything. That's part of why I tend to have issues with people who think natural things are automatically better for everyone. In this case, you can't get any more natural than water.

I'm 100% in the category of give me natural (or at least as close as possible) over synthetic, artificial, man-made any day! But that certainly doesn't mean I'm blind to the fact that natural things (ie, things straight from the earth and/or minimally processed) can cause allergies and even death. But in general, and mindfully, I'll take natural over synthetic whenever I can! And, of course, I've got not-natural things all around me all the time. I just do my best to ensure that most of what I eat and put on my skin is as simple and close to natural as possible.

And just because someone is allergic to water doesn't mean water is no more good for the average person than a bottle of soda.

I do hear what you're saying though, we've had customers have reactions to our products who seem bewildered by the fact that this is possible. But for the most part, I think our customers are more than aware that 'natural' things can cause issues as well.

I'm 100% in the category of give me natural (or at least as close as possible) over synthetic, artificial, man-made any day! But that certainly doesn't mean I'm blind to the fact that natural things (ie, things straight from the earth and/or minimally processed) can cause allergies and even death. But in general, and mindfully, I'll take natural over synthetic whenever I can! And, of course, I've got not-natural things all around me all the time. I just do my best to ensure that most of what I eat and put on my skin is as simple and close to natural as possible.

And just because someone is allergic to water doesn't mean water is no more good for the average person than a bottle of soda.

I do hear what you're saying though, we've had customers have reactions to our products who seem bewildered by the fact that this is possible. But for the most part, I think our customers are more than aware that 'natural' things can cause issues as well.
You're technically not of the types I have issues with. :) I normally don't care which path people take with it just don't make me feel like crap because I or my daughter have to use synthetics (people I mean). My daughter can't even use handmade soap and I'm not one to try and fix what is working for her.

Coconut is a type of palm as well! So there you go. But most understand what is meant when a company refers to their products being palm-free.
You would be surprised how many do not realize, as sad as we think it is it is the only way many villagers have to feed their families. This is their only source of income and our country is one of the least users of palm. I do know coconut is a type of palm and what type of palm Babassu is. PKO is a great replacement for CO when a customer is allergic to CO. But it is wonderful we have choices and profit margin is not a great worry. :) For me it was when selling

Latest posts

Back