Urgent care... Wear goggles!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenneelk

Reaction score
As I sit here in urgent care with a burn to my eye.. I thought I'd try to strain my eyes more, :p , and remind to not take eye cover off too early!

I was making a sea salt soap that was crazy thick when I tripped moving it and a nice fat chunk shot in my eye. The salt caused it to not come out quickly and it stung the holy hell out of eye. Also.. I realize I have no idea how to neutralize lye in the eye? Wasn't about to rinse with vinegar.

My eye inside is swelling and is annoying as heck.

Thought it wouldn't happen to me but it did. :/

OMG! I'm so sorry. I hope they can flush your eye quickly with an anesthetic to give you some relief. Makes me want to put my goggles on now, and I'm just lying in bed. ;-)

Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Oh my god! I hope you're ok!! Check with the dr, but I think if something like that happens, you can stick your head in the sink and flush your eye with lots & lots of water.

Thank you for the warning. I think I usually take my goggles off before I move my soap to its resting spot. I won't do that anymore. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Oh I am so sorry that happened!! I managed to burn my wrist yesterday, and it hurt so much worse than I thought it would. I can't imagine how bad it would be in my eye! I am sending you good vibes and prayers!!!

Well they took me right in and numbed my eye and then did some kind of black light thing. Debris they could still see a bit and 3 made a mess of me flushing my eye for eons but they were nice and helpful.. Can't complain. :)
My eye is swollen and making some kind of film that I think is an auto response to protect but the dr here wasn't sure.
So.. Waiting to get meds script now and then he said to go to ER if it swells more overnight.

I feel like such a dunce!

This soap better be awesome!!! Lol

Thats terrible, I can't even imagine how painful that must have been. Did the doc recommend a follow up with a eye doctor to check for permanent scarring? Hope everything heals up ok and you feel better in the morning.
I never use goggles and half the time I don't wear my eyeglasses when soaping either, I will get some now.

Yikes, I hope your eye is okay. Flushing with water for a long time is the first thing to do, as we all know the lye keeps burning even on a finger. After flushing the eye very very well get to an ER.. I am sorry that happened, I too have taken my goggles off to move soap, never again after reading your story.

At firework hobbyist shoots, there is frequently someone who shows his scars and tells the story of how he tried to save a little time by doing something unsafe. John Vico, M.D., a maker of award winning skyrockets & aerial shells had such an event, and especially being a surgeon he's very fortunate to have had his hands fixed up well. Maybe you can save other soapmakers from similar stories.

Yes I do have to call tomorrow if I have pain still. And burned ASAP so my eye was in the sink in 1 sec flat but want sure if something else after flushing would have been good to use?
Now remember I have 4 young kids and it's late plus I just got my face drown with water so don't judge. Tee hee! I'm putting this pic up to reinforce wearing glasses.
Swelling u can see under eye from the inside and then it's all in the corner and upper eyelid. Eyes crazy red but not sure pic shows it. And I'm def not this crooked looking.. I'm quite even most days. Lol

Numbing is wearing off and def hurting again.. Long night ahead.

Please learn from my mistake!

image.jpg

We'll thank goodness you still have an eye! Although your kiddos would've probably loved a mom with a pirate eye patch haha! Glad it's ok, you look pretty great for being at the urgent care all night!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear this. PLEASE let us know the out come, and if your eye is expected to fully recover. Amazing you could even THINK to post a warning for the rest of us.

I'm glad you're doing well, I hope you heal with no issues! I actually think you look great, although obviously there's something going on with your eye. Thank you for this important reminder, sometimes I take off my safety glasses early.

Yikes - I am so sorry!

Good reminder for me. I only wear my goggles when mixing lye - and even then I don't always. They fog and drive me crazy. BUT this makes me want to deal with it!

Hope you feel better in the morning! Great thing about eyes is they heal really fast. They are the fastest healing organ in the body.

Yes I do have to call tomorrow if I have pain still. And burned ASAP so my eye was in the sink in 1 sec flat but want sure if something else after flushing would have been good to use?

And I'm def not this crooked looking.. I'm quite even most days. Lol

You did the right thing. I do think it would be wise to have an eye wash dispenser with water close by when you're soaping.

You're still lovely, even crooked :razz:
Hope the pain goes away soon!

They fog and drive me crazy.

I think the more expensive ones are really worth investing in.
For me (though it looks quite stupid) a full face screen improves my vision and doesn't feel that uncomfortable.
I really hate any kind of glasses.

Last edited:
OMG, I hope your eye will be ok!
I have to admit...I don't wear goggles, I don't even have goggles at home. But thank you so much for sharing this with us, i will definitely buy and wear goggles in my future soaping!

My first time making soap I had all my supplies and safety great neatly lined up. Very happy with myself, I took off my glasses and put on my safety glasses. My smile disappeared quickly when I realized I couldn't read my recipe/instructions or even see if my soap made it to trace.

My kids, who were there to observe my "science experiment" suggested I put the safety glasses on over my regular glasses. It took a little wiggling and awkward positioning, but it finally worked. Those kids know I would never have proceeded without the safety glasses.

Your picture shows an amazingly beautiful person. Here is hoping that you wake up this morning with clear vision, no pain and some beautiful soap.

Back