Good report on bacon grease soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintageliving

Reaction score
My first batch of bacon grease soap turned out so splendidly, that it became a favorite bath soap.

A neighbor brought another can of bacon grease, so I got to melting and straining. I added a bit of baking soda to the grease to help it smell less of bacon. After several rounds of straining, I made a new batch.

Added a bit of tea tree oil, and it is happily curing.

Hope this gives someone a bit of encouragement, if you're considering that can of bacon grease in the fridge.

I prefer it to Anchor lard. A little more work, but I find well worth the effort. :)

That sounds great Vintage! Did you add any other kinds of oils or fats to it? Did you put water in it and bowl it to, or you just put the baking soda in it? I never have bacon grease here because I just don't hardly ever buy the stuff. I was wondering about the oils the restaurant uses if it could be rendered is what I beleive they call boiling it in with water. ??

Eureka!... I have been trying to convince my girlfriend that we need to make a "Breakfast Bar" out of bacon grease and maple syrup... maybe now I have the ammunition I need, Thanks!

Kevin
http://dopesoap.com

DopeSoap said:
Eureka!... I have been trying to convince my girlfriend that we need to make a "Breakfast Bar" out of bacon grease and maple syrup... maybe now I have the ammunition I need, Thanks!

Kevin
http://dopesoap.com

That's what I was thinking. Ohh, don't forget about the egg as well.

RoseMarie said:
That sounds great Vintage! Did you add any other kinds of oils or fats to it? Did you put water in it and bowl it to, or you just put the baking soda in it? I never have bacon grease here because I just don't hardly ever buy the stuff. I was wondering about the oils the restaurant uses if it could be rendered is what I beleive they call boiling it in with water. ??

RoseMarie, I don't add any other oils or fats to mine, but I can't think of any reason why one couldn't.

I have re-rendered it using the boil-with-water method. That requires letting it cool, putting it in the fridge until the fat hardens, so that one can take it in a chunk off the top. That takes longer and requires space in the fridge. When re-rendering without water, one must keep the fire very low so that fat doesn't burn. It'll start to smell bad, and then it takes many times of re-rendering to get that smell out.

I have also re-rendered putting a potato in the fat to soak up bacon smell. I happened to be without a potato, so just used baking soda this particular round.

My new batch of bacon grease soap is sitting here next to me, and looks beautiful.

I'm grateful my neighbor cooks so much bacon at once that he has leftover fat. It means I get a can of fat a couple of times a year. I give him some soap after I make it. Great trade, I think.

I rarely give my bacon soap away, as it's one of my favorites.

(ETA hyphens, and correct a word)

Well this post definitely satisfies my curiosity on the bacon. I have been wanting to do this one myself.

And the idea of the bacon with maple sounds wonderful. I will definitely try this one as well.

Back