Your soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjude

Reaction score
I am very excitedly waiting for the UPS man (aren't we all? :lol: ). I was on ETSY looking to buy a few bars of soap and came upon this really 8) shop. (I won't mention its name in case I'm not suppose to). When I showed my husband what I had bought ( a sampler and a full sized bar), he remarked, "That looks like art!"

I agreed that it is something special, but it also got me wondering. How many soapers on Esty, Artfire, craft fairs, farmer's markets etc.. use a recipe that they developed? The soap is visually appealing, but I don't really know how the soap will feel or if the recipe is an original one.

We share recipes on the forum all the time. We can look online or in books for recipes as well. Loads of soapers make Castile and salt bars. There are only so many oils and it seems most folks use olive, co, castor, palm, pko, lard and maybe a few luxury ones.

So, what do you think? If you sell or think that you might in the future, how important is it to have all original recipes?

Jude

i started developing recipe's on my 2nd batch. Mainly as I had to use what I could get and not what recipe's said.

Its been a learning expereince, but aside from castile - i'm sorry but nobody can claim that one, its too widespread in use - I'd say all my recipe's are mine.

That said, i do take tips and incorporate techniques, ingredients etc that people recommend. Not always at the rate they recommend, but they are added.

I don't think it's important to have a unique formula - but rather a unique PRODUCT (total package).

I don't think it's important to be all original either. There are only so many oils to choose from and most people use similar amounts of oils. I think as long as you put what you want into the lye calc, then it's your recipe.

There are so many additives and variations.

I LOVE to buy soap on Etsy. Love it!

I started with a recipe from MillerSoap, but then I have now tweeked it to be my own. So I don't feel like I have someone elses recipe anymore.

I see lots of soaps on there with really simple ingredients.....then some that look like they have every oil and butter available .

I bought some soap from MadHatter off of Etsy, I think it is the best soap I have ever used in my life. Its awesome in how it looks, smells and feels. But the packaging is what kept getting my attention to want to purchase.

Latest posts

Back