yellow edges on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christellita

Reaction score
hello all,
i have little packaging covers for my soaps. The only part that is exposed is the outer edges. Sometimes, the outer edges turn yellow. What is this and how do i prevent it? It's weird, because i store my soaps in boxes with holes drilled in them. The yellow edge won't be on all of the soaps in a box, just on a few.
Ideas?

Whats your recipe? Anything yellow to me I automatically think dos!
But its just the edges huh? Still...hm...air exposure..still keep thinking dos.

Anyone else have an idea?

hmmm, i was doing some research and I don't use canola or safflower oil. Usually olive oil, cocounut oil, and palm oil as a base, then either shea or cocoa butter, apricot kernel oil, sweet almond oil. (but all in pretty small quantities).

For some reason I was under the impression that stored soap should still get some air supply. Is this incorrect? I drilled holes in my boxes...maybe I shouldn't have! argh!

nope that sounds about right, anyway you could post some pics for a better idea? Cellphone camera text message to your email account if you dont have a cam.

I believe it is the air getting to the edges that are not in packages . I store my soap in boxes with holes and don't have the yellow edges . I wouldn't package the soap until you absolutely have to , so it cures and airs evenly.

HTH

Kitn

hmmm.....
but if i didn't package it, wouldn't the air be getting on all of the soap and it would all turn yellow???

thanks for the insights!!!

I think a picture will be helpful so that the gurus can see what's actually happening.

Looks like oxiodation.

I'd make a batch using .1% Rosemary Oleoresin Extract. If it doesn't do that then those bars have a problem with oxidation.

I've had a similar thing happen with 1/2 plain 1/2 chlorophyll coloured soap.Def not DOS.Only on the edges,only where there's colour,just a thin strip.Yellowy like,I dunno,nicotine stain?(best description,sorry)Has me stumped. :?

Need to check your recipe -- can be too much superfat
or
Incomplete mixing/saponification of the mixture

ok, definately NOT dos..lol see pics make it so much easier!
Its air effected for sure, how long has it been curing? have one that the "rind" turns a bit darker than the inside as it cures. was one I decided to not market, even though its worked and smelled great, just kept getting darker as it cured. Still waiting to see if it ends up all the way through the soap! lol

gekko62 said:
I've had a similar thing happen with 1/2 plain 1/2 chlorophyll coloured soap.Def not DOS.Only on the edges,only where there's colour,just a thin strip.Yellowy like,I dunno,nicotine stain?(best description,sorry)Has me stumped. :?

i know! that happens to me with a chlorophyll soap I made. It was a bummer, because right after i made it it was such a nice bright green. Then weird yellowy brown.

I superfat 5%.

As for incomplete mixing...if this is air related, would mixing be the culprit? I feel like I have a nice trace when I mold. Stumped, still...

christellita said:
gekko62 said:

i know! that happens to me with a chlorophyll soap I made. It was a bummer, because right after i made it it was such a nice bright green. Then weird yellowy brown.

I superfat 5%.

As for incomplete mixing...if this is air related, would mixing be the culprit? I feel like I have a nice trace when I mold. Stumped, still...

I don't think its mixing. I know chloropyll is meant to fade a bit,but the cut face of the bars are fine! It's the edges & thinner wavy bits on the top that're discolouring.Could be oxidisation,or light exposure.
I've used a mix of annatto &chphyl to get a lime green & don't get that happen. I HAVE only been soaping a few months,so no long term comparisons available.

I wonder if it is the light....., Did you have your soap setting where it is exposed to direct sunlight or flourescent lighting ?

I know that soy candles scented with certain oils will turn yellow if exposed to light.....and you can remove the label and the unexposed part is still normal color.

I also asked because I was taking pictures this morning, and left one of my soaps sitting on a table in front of the window.....and this afternoon I looked at it and it had faded and turned yellow.

Kind of sounds like since yours is just yellow where there is no label...that the light may be a factor.

I was thinking it's the light as well. BUT, i keep them in boxes! It's really weird. I made shampoo bars where the edges turned yellow IN the boxes, and I had some OUT of the boxes that stayed fine. AND THEN... I have lavender soap IN the boxes that's great, and some at the shelf in a store I sell at, so OUT of a box, and that's where I noticed the yellow edge. Since I'm selling it, I don't want it to look gross. :shock:

Latest posts

Back