Wound care @ home

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry to hear you fell. Hope you heal well. Zinc is also good for healing skin, if you happen to have some. Witch Hazel on the bruises makes them go away. If you apply it 3 or 4 times a day. If you apply it before the bruise shows up it won't show up at all. A friend got shot next to his eye with a paint ball, around his eye was huge, but he put ice on it and witch Hazel. He never even had a bruise.

So sorry to hear you are hurt! Sending you well wishes for quick healing.

First line of defense: Adopt the attitude that scars make you look like a bad-a-- Viking and you are not to be messed with. Apply liberally on all affected areas.

I use Manuka honey on my face daily and have experienced improvement. Our son recently had surgery and his 4 scars quickly healed using Manuka honey.

I had surgery last year and just used my plain ol' lotion bar and the surgeon raved about how well it has healed.

But most recently I had several lesions cold-burnt off on my face and scalp. The pine tar salve was really trippy -- like visible improvement within hours; healing took days and not weeks like I was used to. I am not going to dispense medical advice but I'd hold off on the pine tar until there was new skin. Not sure what words to use, I've just never applied pine tar on open wounds.

And keep us posted. Take good care.

It sounds like you are okay, BUT, if you get up from a chair, bed, etc., and feel dizzy get to the ER room immediately. I fell over a 2x4 that was bolted to the floor in the garage last March and I thought I was just fine, but my son insisted that I was going to the ER and it was a good thing, I was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit with a brain bleed. I felt fine and was mad he insisted that I go, smart son, not so smart mom! Falls where the head is involved are not a laughing matter, I ended up falling again a couple of weeks later and didn't feel dizzy, was just fine, this time I didn't argue and my brain had started bleeding again...it has been a year now, but my left cheekbone is still sore! Not one open cut, just bruises, so be safe and careful, please!

So sorry to hear you are hurt! Sending you well wishes for quick healing.

First line of defense: Adopt the attitude that scars make you look like a bad-a-- Viking and you are not to be messed with. Apply liberally on all affected areas.

I use Manuka honey on my face daily and have experienced improvement. Our son recently had surgery and his 4 scars quickly healed using Manuka honey.

I had surgery last year and just used my plain ol' lotion bar and the surgeon raved about how well it has healed.

But most recently I had several lesions cold-burnt off on my face and scalp. The pine tar salve was really trippy -- like visible improvement within hours; healing took days and not weeks like I was used to. I am not going to dispense medical advice but I'd hold off on the pine tar until there was new skin. Not sure what words to use, I've just never applied pine tar on open wounds.

And keep us posted. Take good care.
Zing, would you mind sharing where you buy your Manuka honey? I have been wanting to purchase some but many folks are telling me there are a lot of fakes on the market so I have shied away from it. I see you put it in a lotion bar of yours that you make, do you sell those lotion bars? I have paper-thin skin and have used a lot of commercial face creams that I think are junk but didn't pay Dollar Store prices for them and I would rather make my own or purchase something from a person on this Forum rather than Macy's or Nordstrom! Where do you get the ideas for things like pine tar salve? This is all quite interesting to me but I don't know anything about it, could you point me to books to read, or where I can gather information to learn about healing the skin with herbs, oils, butter's, etc? My son and one of our first exchange students suffer from eczema and I would give anything to help them stop the itching! Jana's is so bad it has permanently deformed her fingernails!

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I believe the best thing to use to prevent scaring is Aloe Vera plant and 🍯 Honey. I had A 3rd degree burn all over my chest and was supposed to be scared for life and we put Aloe Vera straight from the plant on it every time we changed the bandages and I have absolutely no scaring at all the doctors were amazed by it. I've also heard honey is great to use for scaring as well but haven't tried it my self yet. I hope you find something that works.

Jan Berry’s website - thenerdyfarmwife.com - is a good place to start. Other website/blogs I follow are growforagecookferment.com, mountainroseherbs.com and lovelygreens.com
I love Mountain Rose Herbs! I buy a lot of EOs from them. I bet they have a tincture or something that could help you, @VikingChick. Sorry about your fall. Hope you’re better soon. Healing after 50 is slower. Sighs

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I believe the best thing to use to prevent scaring is Aloe Vera plant and 🍯 Honey. I had A 3rd degree burn all over my chest and was supposed to be scared for life and we put Aloe Vera straight from the plant on it every time we changed the bandages and I have absolutely no scaring at all the doctors were amazed by it. I've also heard honey is great to use for scaring as well but haven't tried it my self yet. I hope you find something that works.
As you have said Aloe Vera is for burns, dh had boiling oil, run up his arm, straight away I got the aloe and put it on the arm, next day no redness at all. Aloe is specifically for burns, at the time of the burn, not used for scarring after a cut to diminish the scars.

I also think it depends on your body, some people heal well, others don't and what part of the body. I had a dark freckle cut out on my shin, didn't put anything on it, now I don't even know where it was, but 2 yrs ago had a bcc cut out lower on leg and the scar is still there, the dermatologist said some parts heal well others don't.

It sounds like you are okay, BUT, if you get up from a chair, bed, etc., and feel dizzy get to the ER room immediately. I fell over a 2x4 that was bolted to the floor in the garage last March and I thought I was just fine, but my son insisted that I was going to the ER and it was a good thing, I was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit with a brain bleed. I felt fine and was mad he insisted that I go, smart son, not so smart mom! Falls where the head is involved are not a laughing matter, I ended up falling again a couple of weeks later and didn't feel dizzy, was just fine, this time I didn't argue and my brain had started bleeding again...it has been a year now, but my left cheekbone is still sore! Not one open cut, just bruises, so be safe and careful, please!

Zing, would you mind sharing where you buy your Manuka honey? I have been wanting to purchase some but many folks are telling me there are a lot of fakes on the market so I have shied away from it. I see you put it in a lotion bar of yours that you make, do you sell those lotion bars? I have paper-thin skin and have used a lot of commercial face creams that I think are junk but didn't pay Dollar Store prices for them and I would rather make my own or purchase something from a person on this Forum rather than Macy's or Nordstrom! Where do you get the ideas for things like pine tar salve? This is all quite interesting to me but I don't know anything about it, could you point me to books to read, or where I can gather information to learn about healing the skin with herbs, oils, butter's, etc? My son and one of our first exchange students suffer from eczema and I would give anything to help them stop the itching! Jana's is so bad it has permanently deformed her fingernails!
I missed this. :)secret:If you type the @ sign and then start typing the username, they get an alert.)
Yes, I also recommend Nerdy Housewife. Honeybee and Me is also good but she's like lightyears beyond my abilities. Also the search bar on this Forum! Also read @AliOop 's posts about skin issues.

I got Manuka honey from Whole Foods. I do not put honey in my lotion bars, I just use it on my face. My son just dabbed it on his scars and covered with bandages.

I make lotion bars, soap, and lip balms. My skin dramatically improved when I stopped using store-bought products.

I made a pine tar soap once. It's an advanced technique because it turns into a brick in seconds. I found the bars very soft and soggy. However, I found a bar 12 months old and it was nice and hard. My learning was it needs a looong cure. I did not notice any appreciable difference to my skin. But the pine tar salve has been a champ product.

You can make your own lotion bars, they are easy-peasy! Use 1/3 each of beeswax, a butter, and an oil. My friend uses my lotion bars on his face daily. I don't use it on my face. I live in the cold Midwest USA and for decades my fingertips would split and bleed in the winter; I literally resorted to using SuperGlu proactively and reactively. Since I started using my lotion bars, my finger tips have never split and I rarely get hangnails.

For lotion bars, I like to use mango butter but you can use shea or cocoa or a combo. For the oil I like to use jojoba, meadowfoam seed, Abyssinian, or rice bran. It's fun to experiment. If it's too hard, just melt and add more oil. If it's too oily, just melt and add more beeswax. No curing time!

I'm a no fuss/no muss guy. I'm intrigued by infusing oils with calendula and plantain but I know that I could never keep up a daily regimen of shaking and watching the calendar so I don't even try.

@Sudds, Culpepers herbal is a book I have if you want to read up on herbs. The book as been around for while and is very comprehensive, great referral book. my Naturopath at the time, recommended it to many years ago.

Here’s more information on promoting wound healing. https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/condition/wounds
I love that an established institution like Mt. Sinai has information on alternative medicine on their site!

So sorry to hear you fell. Hope you heal well. Zinc is also good for healing skin, if you happen to have some. Witch Hazel on the bruises makes them go away. If you apply it 3 or 4 times a day. If you apply it before the bruise shows up it won't show up at all. A friend got shot next to his eye with a paint ball, around his eye was huge, but he put ice on it and witch Hazel. He never even had a bruise.
I already take a zinc supplement every day 😁

If I end up with a scar I’m gonna totally go with that! I didn’t kiss a brick wall, i got into it with an axe! And the axe lost! Yeah, that’s it!

Thank you so much for you concern! ❤️ I haven’t had any of this symptoms, fortunately. But gosh, I’m sorry for your experience!

@VikingChick Yes, I hope your healing is speedy! I did not recommend any herbal type approaches because of the time required to make infusions or tinctures.
Time is definitely a limitation. It also kind of precludes me from ordering anything, but I’m thinking I need to make a toolbox for my next tumble. 😂

As you have said Aloe Vera is for burns, dh had boiling oil, run up his arm, straight away I got the aloe and put it on the arm, next day no redness at all. Aloe is specifically for burns, at the time of the burn, not used for scarring after a cut to diminish the scars.

I also think it depends on your body, some people heal well, others don't and what part of the body. I had a dark freckle cut out on my shin, didn't put anything on it, now I don't even know where it was, but 2 yrs ago had a bcc cut out lower on leg and the scar is still there, the dermatologist said some parts heal well others don't.
I have a ton of aloe plants, and they’re miraculous on burns!

Jan Berry’s website - thenerdyfarmwife.com - is a good place to start. Other website/blogs I follow are growforagecookferment.com, mountainroseherbs.com and lovelygreens.com
Thank you so very much. I have known about mountainroseherbs.com for years, but need to start going back there again! I now have a little note on my computer screen to remind me to start looking at these sites!

I missed this. :)secret:If you type the @ sign and then start typing the username, they get an alert.)
Yes, I also recommend Nerdy Housewife. Honeybee and Me is also good but she's like lightyears beyond my abilities. Also the search bar on this Forum! Also read @AliOop 's posts about skin issues.

I got Manuka honey from Whole Foods. I do not put honey in my lotion bars, I just use it on my face. My son just dabbed it on his scars and covered with bandages.

I make lotion bars, soap, and lip balms. My skin dramatically improved when I stopped using store-bought products.

I made a pine tar soap once. It's an advanced technique because it turns into a brick in seconds. I found the bars very soft and soggy. However, I found a bar 12 months old and it was nice and hard. My learning was it needs a looong cure. I did not notice any appreciable difference to my skin. But the pine tar salve has been a champ product.

You can make your own lotion bars, they are easy-peasy! Use 1/3 each of beeswax, a butter, and an oil. My friend uses my lotion bars on his face daily. I don't use it on my face. I live in the cold Midwest USA and for decades my fingertips would split and bleed in the winter; I literally resorted to using SuperGlu proactively and reactively. Since I started using my lotion bars, my finger tips have never split and I rarely get hangnails.

For lotion bars, I like to use mango butter but you can use shea or cocoa or a combo. For the oil I like to use jojoba, meadowfoam seed, Abyssinian, or rice bran. It's fun to experiment. If it's too hard, just melt and add more oil. If it's too oily, just melt and add more beeswax. No curing time!

I'm a no fuss/no muss guy. I'm intrigued by infusing oils with calendula and plantain but I know that I could never keep up a daily regimen of shaking and watching the calendar so I don't even try.
Thanks so much for the info, and about the lotion bars. The only problem I have is, that I am allergic to bee wax, (also bee and wasp stings) the wax dries my skin up something fierce but, I think using Candelilla wax might do the trick. Since I also live in the rotten climate of the Midwest, and my fingers suffer every winter from cracks, and hangnails I am going to make myself some lotion bars ASAP!
Whole Foods is my favorite grocery store in the Midwest, and now I have an excuse to go there...the Kalamata Olive Bread is my favorite item they carry, unfortunately, the store closest to me doesn't have it and I either have to make it myself or drive 60 miles to a store that does carry it, needless to say, I don't get to have it very often.
I made my first batch of soap frosting yesterday, I had the time of my life! It was so much fun and the working time was amazing, I was playing with it for almost four hours. I need to go downstairs yet tonight and see if it finally got hard! Best soaping time ever!! Watch, I will go down and it will have DOS all over it and be weeping down the side of my cake or all over the floor of the cupboard where I stored it LOL!

Also read @AliOop 's posts about skin issues.

Thank you for the kind mention, friend.

I don’t know how much Manuka you want, but our Costco carries it in a larger size and at a better price than WF.

Question: do you apply it and then wash it off after a bit? Mr. Oop has a still-healing scar on his outer ear from a recent BCC removal, so I’d like to try this on that. Thanks!

I think using Candelilla wax might do the trick
@Sudds, just a heads up, since candelilla is harder than beeswax you might have to vary the percentages or otherwise tinker a little bit (eg, more oil or use a softer butter) to get the right texture/slip in your lotion bar. But you can remelt and add until you get something you like. Just keep really good notes so that you can remember the changes.

I don’t know how much Manuka you want, but our Costco carries it in a larger size and at a better price than WF.

Question: do you apply it and then wash it off after a bit? Mr. Oop has a still-healing scar on his outer ear from a recent BCC removal, so I’d like to try this on that. Thanks!
I have the Manuka honey from Costco. It’s not as “potent” as some of the other stuff you can buy, but that’s what I’ve been using on the scrape on my elbow. Manuka at night, lavender essential oil during the day. In both cases, I apply and then cover with a bandage (don’t rinse off). In six days’ time, it’s been healing like a champ! Definitely faster than I normally heal.

I have the Manuka honey from Costco. It’s not as “potent” as some of the other stuff you can buy, but that’s what I’ve been using on the scrape on my elbow. Manuka at night, lavender essential oil during the day. In both cases, I apply and then cover with a bandage (don’t rinse off). In six days’ time, it’s been healing like a champ! Definitely faster than I normally heal.
That’s great news!

Thank you for the kind mention, friend.

Sorry to hear about the basal cell. Not fun. Our son, Sting, would dab honey on his scars and then cover with a bandage.

Back