Why I Bevel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deda

Reaction score
Cause I Love the scraps.

I just did these today.

They contain scraps of old soaps, after they were poured and sat for about 8 hours I unmolded and sliced them into 2 layers. Then I put 1 layer upside down back in the mold and poured a fresh batch 1lb batch of soap over the bottom halves, then topped with the other half. The reason for slicing instead of just doing 3 separate pours is that the shreds tend to stick in the middle of the bar, you can see them better when they are cut.

122308005-1.jpg
122308007-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Deda they are fantastic!
I also like all the little curly bits that you get from bevelling.
I have used them in salt soaps, next I plan to use some coloured curls mixed in some MP, just for a nice effect.

Deda said:
...........I unmolded and sliced them into 2 layers. Then I put 1 layer upside down back in the mold and poured a fresh batch........
Brilliant!!!! Beeeeutiful!!!!

Digit

Love them Deda! What a great idea....I am slice/cut challenged so I will just admire your beauties and dream on :wink:

Do you bevel with a proper tool, or use a vege peeler as I have read somewhere here? I like the idea of bevelled soaps and would like to have a go at that.....but if I have to use a knife I will pass on it!

Tanya :)

I'm so glad you like them!

Topcat - I used a plain ole potato peeler from Ikea, the only thing special about it is that it's bright pink. Easy to spot and not use on food!

Pug Mom - I suppose that the shreds will slightly change the scent, but I really didn't notice it at all. I only do shreds in batches where I know that I have a jumble of scents, I kinda like the fragrance.

hey,
do you girls know this tool?
b_871.jpg

I have no idea how it's called in english, the dictionary didn't say anything either. It's used to cut of hard skin on your feet, and has a super sharp razor inside. I thought it could be used as a beveler (they are cheap!), going to try with the next batch :wink: a new one :lol:
Dagmar

dagmar88 said:
hey,
b_871.jpg

I have no idea how it's called in english, the dictionary didn't say anything either. It's used to cut of hard skin on your feet, and has a super sharp razor inside. I thought it could be used as a beveler (they are cheap!), going to try with the next batch :wink: a new one :lol:
Dagmar

Callous remover

Cattleyabubbles said:
dagmar88 said:
hey,
b_871.jpg

Dagmar

Callous remover
Yeah! That's the thing they use when for pedicures!

Remember when there was time for pedicures?

BTW - anything Henckels has got to be good.

Those soaps are so cool! Very creative. And now I know what to do with my scraps (although I don't think I will aspire to the sliced soap trick for a while - I can just imagine what less-than-beauteous end product I would end up with). Yours are gorgeous.

dagmar88 said:
hey,
b_871.jpg

Dagmar

I ran and got mine and tried it on a strangely shaped piece of soap and wasn't happy with the results. I have another design that's used for smaller calluses (by Credo) and that works good for those fine details that a potato peeler can't get to. The best tool that I have in my arsenal is a square potato peeler that works much better than the conventional shaped peeler.

dagmar88 said:
Okay digit, now i have to look up what a frammel stammer is :?
A frammel stammer is a highly specialized, usually expensive, do-ma-jig thingy.

Digit

I bevel mostly because the soaps turn in your hands most easily than an unbevelled bar. That said I don't use mt scraps as much as I should, but here's one...

Latest posts

Back