Where do you get your recipe's?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hazel said:
Lindy -

I think we all tend to forget what it was like in the beginning. Especially for you soapmakers who have been doing this for years and years. :lol: I was very insecure when I first started. I didn't want to waste oils so I followed recipes for my first few batches. Once I figured out kind of what I was doing, I started changing percentages to see how it changed the quality of the soap. Then I started experimenting with oils not usually used in soap, etc.

I used Anne Watson's shea soap for my first batch. My second batch was one of Sandy Maine's recipes. I also read Kathy Miller's site for the basics (thanks for the reminder Soaplady22). My first salt bar batch was Dagmar's recipe.

I also started with recipes, modifying as I gained confidence in the process and experimenting with an ever expanding variety of oils. I have come full circle, reducing the variety of oils on hand to my favorites. My focus now is more cosmetic; EO/FO, color and design.

I went on a soap making course and we were given a few recipes to use when we got home. I formulate my own recipes now :D

I've only made two batches, but I made my own recipes. I love using the Bramble Berry lye and fragrance calculators to guide me. Also, the soapmaking About website has a great article about percentages of certain oils to add to your recipe, including oils that add hardness, lather stability, lather fluffiness, etc. I thought about using someone else's recipe for my first time just to get the hang of things, but I'm stubborn LOL and luckily the first batches came out amazing. Hope that helps!

I formulated my own from the start AFTER several months of reading and research and getting up the courage to take the plunge.

I basically stuck to a hard to soft oils ratio (60:40 or even 50:50) and always ran my recipes through soapcalc, the sage and summerbeemeadow to make sure it was right on...I tend to be over cautious.

Latest posts

Back