When Fragrance Oil Accelerates Trace...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyougifts

Reaction score
Haha that sounds like "as the world turns..."
ANYWAYS! So I'm doing my daily soap reading as usual and notice that people often have fragrance oil accelerate trace in soap. I want different opinions on how you handle this when you know it is going to happen. Do you mix it in with some oil before adding it to the mix? Do you add it at an earlier trace? What is your favorite way of correcting the problem. And what about when it's too late? What do you do then! I would just like to see different options and opinions. :)

I'm still trying to figure this out.

In my experience, adding the FO to the oil before adding lye doesn't fix the problem. As soon as the lye solution is added, it starts clumping up immediately.

I am going to see if adding the FO very slowly helps.

I've been told to add it to my SF's that I use after trace. But before adding it scoop out a small amt. of soap and add to this. Mix well then add to the pot.

I don't think I would want to try the method from mms LJA. 1st, unless you have discounted your water, it's liable to be gummy soap for a long time. 2nd if that tea kettle water is too hot won't it evaporate you FO AND cause you soap to over heat if you have milk in it? Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Anyway, good post thankyougifts.

I vaguely remember reading a previous post where the soap and lye/water were added at ~75-80 degrees and then the fo was quickly whisked in.

I have around 12 ozs. of lilac fo left and would love to know if anyone has had success using that method.

And, what's an sf? :oops:

Jude

sf = super fats

Touch wood I have never had sos , but if it starts to get thick on me usually a quick stir smartens it up enough to get it in the mold.

Heyjude- 'SF' is short for 'superfat'. :)

This is what I do when my FO speeds up so fast that it makes 'soap-on-a-stick': I take my soaping pot (which is stainless steel), and I immediately do an emergency HP (hot process) with it by placing it on my stovetop on low until it reaches gel stage (stirring when and often as I can).

At the point that it reaches gel stage (or reaches the consistency of vaseline or applesauce or mashed potatoes) I stir it well and quickly glop it into my mold just like you would do with a hot processed soap or rebatched soap. I've saved about 3 or 4 batches this way.

I've tried pretty much all of the tricks mentioned in this thread to keep a FO from going bonkers in CP and none of them have worked for me as yet.

The things that have worked for me are these:

1) Lowering the FO amount to less than .5 oz. ppo. This works great at keeping the acceleration monster at bay, but you'll want to make sure the FO is strong enough, smell-wise, to hold up at so little a usage rate (like Mineral Waters Spa from Daystar, for instance. That one is as strong as an acre of garlic and holds up tremendously well at only .4 oz ppo!).

2)Purposely setting out to do OHP up front with my 'soap-on-a-stick' accelerators (instead of emergency HP's- although those work too, in a pinch) . I just starting doing this with Old Spice from Oregon Trails and Orange Blossom from Sweet Cakes and they both turned out great.

IrishLass :)

I have experienced many seizes and have found these hints can help/eliminate the problem.

1. Soap cooler. I will let my lye solution get down to around 25 deg celcius, and my oils as cool as they can be without re-solidifying.

2. Don't discount your water, use the full amount.

3. I don't think it matters if you add the fo to the oils before the lye, or at trace, if it's going to seize it will do it as soon as the lye hits the oil, and if that happens you aren't going to get your lye mixed in properly.

4. If it does seize up and you can't get it mixed properly, get the crock pot down, or stainless steel pan, and continue to hot process it.

Thanks Kitn and Irishlass - sf=soap fragrance wasn't making much sense to me! :lol:

Jude

Lilac fo is a bugger, heyjude! Anyways, I soap at room temperature, and try to use a recipe with oils that don't move trace along (for example, olive oil slows things down, while palm oil can speed things up, from what I've read.) I also add soy lecithin to my oils. Another member here on SMF gave me that advice, I'm sorry to say I can't remember who, but it is by far the best tip I have received for dealing with FOs that repeatedly seize. Just a tsp ppo does the trick for me!

It is a shame that lilac moves so quickly- both my hubby and I just LOVE the scent. This was the first time I had used po in a recipe. I'll try some soy lecithin the next time and maybe a smaller batch. Thanks for everyone's help! :)

Jude

Dixie said:
I've been told to add it to my SF's that I use after trace. But before adding it scoop out a small amt. of soap and add to this. Mix well then add to the pot.

I don't think I would want to try the method from mms LJA. 1st, unless you have discounted your water, it's liable to be gummy soap for a long time. 2nd if that tea kettle water is too hot won't it evaporate you FO AND cause you soap to over heat if you have milk in it? Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Anyway, good post thankyougifts.

Hmm interesting. I haven't tried the method from MMS and wondered if it would work or not. I kind of had this issue tonight, trying a funnel swirl. The FO played nice, but the titanium dioxide got things rolling pretty quickly. I managed to get it all poured in the mold, but the end of the pour was pretty thick. I started at a VERY thin trace too. Nuts.

Are you sure it was the T.D.? I've never had problems with it and I have been experimenting with adding it in different ways. I've decided that I like it added to the oils right after I add the lye best. Who knows! Why did my soap turn yellow the other day?! lol

I'm pretty sure it was the TD, Dixie. I've had it thicken on me twice now. I add it at trace though....I'd probably be better off doing it like you do. In fact, I'm sure it would.

***Shhh, ................... :roll: Looking around....... Bert's Lilac didn't seize and smells like a dream!!*** :wink:

Is berts a brand??? I use BB's lilac, and only soy lecithin and some fast movin can keep it under control! Where can I get berts lilac?

LJA said:
Here's what *I* do....

PANIC!!!!! Then mumble several obscenities, followed by knocking over open bottles of very expensive ingredients. THEN....I just pray to the soap Gods and slop that sucker into the mold asap. Swear again.

A wiser, more thoughtful appraoch might be something like this (Courtesy of MMS):

http://blog.thesage.com/2009/03/12/revi ... led-batch/

Wooaaaaaah! What an awesome helpful hint!

Now, I've done the "Wait until gel" trick too...even then I was sweating!

If it is soap on a stick bad, I just take it to the stove and cook it into submission. Then I've got HP soap.

Back