What water to use in my first batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
In my reading and watching of tutorials etc, I've heard different opinions about the type of water to use.

Our water here is very hard, I'm in a constant losing battle with limescale in the kitchen and bathroom... I don't think it would make for lovely soap. It seriously reduces the lather of commercial soap and shampoo.

Some folks say to use distilled water. We only seem to get deionised water here, which I believe is pretty much the same but might use a different method. It's not especially cheap though, it would be cheaper to buy bottled spring water.

We get a lot of water collecting in our dehumidifier, which I use in my steam iron to avoid limescale after I killed the first one we had while trying to descale it!
I was wondering if that would be suitable for making soap? It's basically deionised water and is essentially free...

Any other suggestions?

You need to use distilled water or water that has been through an RO filter. If the store has RO water I always use it. The lable on the jug will tell what kind of filter process that the water has been through.

Do not use spring water! If you can't purchase distilled or RO water, then you can distill it yourself but I highly recommend that you purchase filtered water unless you have an RO system and can filter it yourself.

In my reading and watching of tutorials etc, I've heard different opinions about the type of water to use.

Our water here is very hard, I'm in a constant losing battle with limescale in the kitchen and bathroom... I don't think it would make for lovely soap. It seriously reduces the lather of commercial soap and shampoo.

Some folks say to use distilled water. We only seem to get deionised water here, which I believe is pretty much the same but might use a different method. It's not especially cheap though, it would be cheaper to buy bottled spring water.

We get a lot of water collecting in our dehumidifier, which I use in my steam iron to avoid limescale after I killed the first one we had while trying to descale it!
I was wondering if that would be suitable for making soap? It's basically deionised water and is essentially free...

Any other suggestions?
I missed one part of your post. Deionized water is just fine. I use a RO/DI system for my aquariums and then I fill a gallon jug for my soap/cosmetics recipes.

Thank you, I got some deionised water today (and a cheapo stick blender and a couple of plastic bowls yesterday, plus a kit with all the ingredients and full instructions for my birthday the other day) so I think I have all the elements ready to go now as soon as I have both the time and energy to make it happen.

I have read in one of my FB soaping groups that many people use 'tap' water in their soap making process. I was somewhat horrified since everything I've read says to used distilled water. I'm still a relative newbie (10 months) so didn't comment especially since soooo many people responded to the post saying they do the same thing!
Would be interested in hearing the 'whys' we use distilled and the cons to using tap water.

I think it comes down to which side of the 'pond' you live on because Deionized Water and Distilled Water are both types of extremely pure water, but are produced two different ways. Depending on the water source, Distilled Water can be more pure, but it's not as cheap to produce. I found that kind of strange considered the cost difference between the two. Distilled Water is cheap here...less than a dollar for a gallon. On the other hand Deionized Water in the UK is outrageous. I found some place call ChemWorld and they want $16.00 a gallon!?!?

You don't want to use Spring Water or Drinking Water or Purified Water...it's not the same. While those types of water have been heat treated to kill nasty bacteria and filtered to removed bits and pieces, the minerals still remain in the water and it's those minerals that can react badly with Sodium and Potassium Hydroxides (lye).

Would be interested in hearing the 'whys' we use distilled and the cons to using tap water.

Distilled Water is the most pure water there is, it only contains H2O. Filtered water is boiled until it turns into steam; besides the heat killing off any nasty bacteria, viruses, parasites, etc, because water has a lower boiling than most contaminants (including minerals), everything else is left behind when the water turns into steam. The steam is then condensed back into water.

On the other hand...tap water is just "treated" water, and depending on the water source, treatment includes various levels of coagulation and flocculation, sedimentation, filtration and disinfection. In coagulation and flocculation, chemicals are added to the water to bind with dirt and other waterborne compounds to form 'flocc'. Flocc is heavier than water and so it settles to the bottom of the tank to form a removable layer of sludge (sedimentation). Then water is then filtered to remove any remaining particles such as dust, parasites and toxic chemicals. Then final step is to add chlorine to the water.

Thanks for that explanation... what type of effect does tap water have on homemade soap? I seems it would be less 'pure' but is it noticeable in the finished product? I masterbatch the lye/water so I don't often use full water anyway - most added liquid is milk but I'm curious.

Tap water often contains metals or minerals that will contribute to DOS (just like setting soap on a metal rack might do). And because the water quality can vary from day to day, depending on how the water treatment facilities are managing the water purity, your results can be inconsistent.

As an example, when we first moved into the house where we now reside, the water tasted great and had no odor. One day some months later, we turned on the tap, and the water suddenly smelled like a swimming pool that had been over-chlorinated. It has smelled like that ever since. I can only surmise that they had a rise in some bacteria level, and responded with an increase of chlorination. I've since had to install shower head filters since the chlorination was drying out my hair and causing severe leg dandruff.

All that to say, your tap water may work fine today, and be not so fine tomorrow. Best to use distilled water if you want consistent results and don't want to risk DOS.

Thanks for that explanation... what type of effect does tap water have on homemade soap? I seems it would be less 'pure' but is it noticeable in the finished product? I masterbatch the lye/water so I don't often use full water anyway - most added liquid is milk but I'm curious.

I honestly don't know since I have always used Distilled Water, but from what I have read from several different sources that soap made tap water have poor lather, produce less bubbles, may feel slimy or leave a residue and will be more prone to oxidation.

It would make for an interesting experiment. I could make two test batches (four bars), one with tap water and one with distilled water. Let them cure for 8 weeks, then get three other friends to check them.

I don't know if using not using 'full water' would matter or not. A teaspoon of sugar in a gallon of tea is not all that noticeable, but a teaspoon in a cup is. On the other hand, if I expose a corner of a block of cheddar cheese to the air, the resulting mold is not confined to just the corner, will eventually cover the entire block.

I think it comes down to which side of the 'pond' you live on because Deionized Water and Distilled Water are both types of extremely pure water, but are produced two different ways. Depending on the water source, Distilled Water can be more pure, but it's not as cheap to produce. I found that kind of strange considered the cost difference between the two. Distilled Water is cheap here...less than a dollar for a gallon. On the other hand Deionized Water in the UK is outrageous. I found some place call ChemWorld and they want $16.00 a gallon!?!?

You don't want to use Spring Water or Drinking Water or Purified Water...it's not the same. While those types of water have been heat treated to kill nasty bacteria and filtered to removed bits and pieces, the minerals still remain in the water and it's those minerals that can react badly with Sodium and Potassium Hydroxides (lye).

Thank you, that is a great explanation. I bought some deionised water in the supermarket today, it was £1.50 for 1.5 litres. Spring water can be found for under half that, depending on the brand!

If I end up addicted to soap making, I'll need to investigate cheaper options I think!

For a long time (before I joined this forum) I'd refill used containers from the water machine at the grocery store....where its like $.40 a gallon. It seemed to work okay. I now used distilled water, but for whatever reason, its been hard to come by lately in this area

De-ionised water is available from Tesco quite cheaply. If not in the supermarket itself, try the petrol station. I think maybe Asda sell it too? Or try auto supply stores.

Thank you, I found some at Tesco yesterday, £1.50 for 1.5 litres.

I have always used tap water.

I know some folks do. What is your water like? Ours is very hard, we always get loads of limescale, which I expect would interfere with the chemical reaction in some way...

I know some folks do. What is your water like? Ours is very hard, we always get loads of limescale, which I expect would interfere with the chemical reaction in some way...
Yes, if you have hard water, it generally won’t work well for making soap, because all the extra stuff in the water will tend to cause rancidity. Unless you use chelators, these same substances can cause a lot of soap scum and poor lather, even if the soap was made with distilled water.

Latest posts

Back