What to do with too much Beeswax in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhSweetFreckles

Reaction score
today i found some beeswax that i used from when i made belly cream for my pregnancy. it worked like a charm no stretchmarks or anything. ANYWAYS, i thought " SWEET! beeswax i'll add this to my milk & honey FO soap.:grin:" (side note: i'm a stay at home mom so when i start to make my soap is when my little one is napping so i try to work against the clock which give me an hour to hour & 20 mins give or take)

My mix was
5 oz cocobutter
3 oz cocnutoil
2 oz sunflower oil
5 oz coconut oil
5 oz canola oil
& 5 oz beeswax:-?
3% superfat

Welp.... when it started to thicken up too quickly i panicked a little & i did what some stubborn soapers might do, I added my colors and FO and continued to mix. yep, the consistency was extremely thick like playdoh almost. I still put it in the mold made it look as pretty as i could.
now that i'm doing research on beeswax in CP soap i want to kick myself in the toosh for not looking it up before hand and realizing i only need so, so , so very little of beeswax.:headbanging:

anyways, my real question is, do i need to rebatch this soap or is it still useable once its cured? if i do use it will it dry out my skin or be weird to use like rubbing wax candle on me?
if i do rebatch it how can i dilute the beeswax?

That is a huge amount of beeswax! I don't know if I'd bother to re-batch, it will take quite a bit of extra soap to get than down to the 1% or so where beeswax is usable (at least to my thinking -- but then I'd never put beeswax in soap to start with, too hard).

If you made a small batch I'd consider just tossing it, otherwise if you do decide to re-batch I would use a small amount of it in a batch of hot process soap. You will have to get it hot enough to melt that beeswax to mix it in -- 140F or so, otherwise you will just have the same result you just got -- false trace and solidification of unsaponified soap from the beeswax going solid below 140F.

It's always a learning experience with anything related to bees, eh? Mine give me a surprise every time I look into the hives....

"... You can make a new batch, just eliminate the beeswax and run through a lye calc, and hp it. This will bring the wax down to the recommended range...."

The beeswax in this recipe is a whopping 20%.

To get the amount down to around 3%, my calculator is telling me this one batch would have to be mixed with about 6 same-sized batches of soap made without beeswax. Or mixed with 18 no-beeswax batches to get it down to about 1%.

That's a lot of soap.

Sometimes its easier to stop while you are ahead. I would toss the batch, cheaper than making 18 new batches to mix.

If you use it, yes, it will be very draggy on your skin. My husband doesn't like the feel of beeswax in soap at a normal percentage, so I doubt at this rate it would be pleasant.

I'd probably try just a small portion of it in a new batch of non-beeswax soap and see it if will even incorporate well before planning on rebatching all of it. It may not be worth the trouble. But if after trying a small portion in a new batch, and find that you like it, then maybe add a bit (oh, maybe a 50 gram size) to each new batch of HP soap. It could end up lasting you a long time that way.

"... You can make a new batch, just eliminate the beeswax and run through a lye calc, and hp it. This will bring the wax down to the recommended range...."

The beeswax in this recipe is a whopping 20%.

To get the amount down to around 3%, my calculator is telling me this one batch would have to be mixed with about 6 same-sized batches of soap made without beeswax. Or mixed with 18 no-beeswax batches to get it down to about 1%.

That's a lot of soap.
Whoops! I read 5oz as 5%. That's a bit of a difference [emoji9]

Latest posts

Back