what to do when.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgawlik

Reaction score
Your running low on everything? ?? I improvise. Had to deviate from my normal "formula" and me thinks me come up with a decent, slow trace recipe.

But seriously how did I run out of so many of my staple supplies?? Grrrr. But hey I made soap anyway...

30% soybean.. never soaped with this
35% beef tallow ( down to 6 pints) guess its time to hit up the butcher again
15% coconut (you guessed it also running out AGAIN)
20% lard (ugh store bought) yep definitely time to hit my butcher up

Just barely melted my solids added soybean
Used half coconut milk for my liquid and half water

Emulsified milk in just above room temp oil, oops nearly froze my lye, but with the milk it worked out ok.. actually got to work with three colors and it all stayed nice and fluid down to the last pour... I was so amazed

It's cool here so im gonna attempt to just leave it on the counter, but will probably have to put her in the fridge or freezer with that much coconut milk.

Yay for improvising

image.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you get your stuff?

I've been able to find most everything locally ... lard, coconut oil, and stearic acid. I can't get KOH locally.

Cheers-
Dave

Where do you get your stuff?

I've been able to find most everything locally ... lard, coconut oil, and stearic acid. I can't get KOH locally.

Cheers-
Dave

Lard and tallow I render myself...
Everything else mostly online ( from whoever has the best prices at time of order)
Coconut oil I sometimes grab at the supermarket when in a pinch..

Naoh usually at my local hardware store ( think small town USA) it works out about the same money as ordering online when you factor in shipping.

Koh I have not found locally

Heading over to check a few websites this afternoon yay,
Unfortunately I did not realize how low I was on supplies until this morning.. it's been a bust couple of weeks, but looks like things might slow down a bit for me so yay more time to soap

Lard and tallow I render myself...

Odor free lard (Armour brand) can be purchased at Wal Mart. A large tub was something like 6 bucks. Wal Mart also has LouAna coconut oil ... I think it was also something like 6 bucks.

Naoh usually at my local hardware store ( think small town USA) it works out about the same money as ordering online when you factor in shipping.

Yep. Lowes has it under the "Roebic" brand ... something like 14 bucks for 2 lbs.

I prefer to render my own lard and my local hardware store carries the same lye in 1# containers for about $3.75..
Home rendered lard and tallow =free. My butcher give me the fat. I have to put a bit of time into it, but the crockpot does a great job

I use soybean all the time..I love it :) I use CO and soybean together alot, and it gives me a really nice hard bar with loads of lather and creaminess.

I get mine at HEB or Walmart..usually the off brand {store brand} just make sure to check the ingredients for 100% soybean

And I get my Louanna coconut oil there as well..its like 5.98 at HEB

Sam's Organic Coconut Oil came out better price wise for me. 56 oz(I think) for less per oz than Walmart. And their yellow olive oil beats every price in town.

I get my olive oil at Costco. Best price I have found. Been using it for 4 years now. I also get avocado from Costco. I can get Coconut and Castor from a local oil supply company (I buy 50lbs CO and 7 lbs Castor). Palm, PKO, Shea and Cocoa Butter from Soaper's Choice. Lye I can get locally as well 55.10 lbs for 65.00. However I also get it from Essential Depot. I got is for a great price last time as my parents were in Florida and picked it up for me so I got 64 lbs for 66.00.

Darling bf is gonna kill me... $100 later at soapers choice and $74 at wsp, and I still have to get some things at walmart... I guess its not so bad when compared to others, but man... oh and am still gonna have to visit my butcher first thing Monday.Just not enough days in the week

I found CO at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2A88ZW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

9 lbs for $20

It's cheaper with Prime Shipping (free) than I can find it anywhere else for quantities that are reasonable for a hobbyist. I just started to soap with it but have been using it for hair treatments and such without noticing anything different about it than the more expensive stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooo those turned out so pretty! Let us know how you like them made with the soybean :)

@Susie, what was the price you got the CO for at Sams?

@Snappy That's a pretty good price for 9lbs..I bookmarked it :)

$15.98 for 56 oz on the coconut oil. And remember that this is a hobby for me, so I can't really use 50 lb of any oil, so local purchases make more sense to avoid shipping costs.

Im pretty impressed so far, it was still a bit soft when I cut it, so of course I had a bit on my hands when done.. nice creamy lather... I think I actually like this combo..

My local butcher is saving his fat for me.. have to pick it up today... yay guess we all know what im doing tonight..
Ordered oils should be here tomorrow, have a busy weekend but should be able to soap up a storm Monday.
Hopefully my new scents will be here by then as well, but my exp with wsp it'll probably be Tuesday or Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back