What scents blend well with patchouli?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cristy

Reaction score
I recently ordered some new fragrance oils, one of which is patchouli. I have never smelled this before but looking around online I've seen that it's pretty common so I decided to give it a try. IMO this oil really, really smells terrible. Might not be too bad thought mixed with something else, anyone have any suggestions??

Everything smells great with patchouli!

Actually, I've never used the FO, only the EO.

But to start, try a citrus like sweet orange or grapefruit, or just about any fruit. It is supposed to blend nicely with raspberry. Lavender or mint is good too.

I found I didn't like it OOB and it smelt really strong in the soap too, but after about 6 weeks it mellowed and its not too bad after all, give it a try as is, you might like it.

I have the EO but I am a patchouli hater, lol. I have a friend that is too but she made a soap that even I liked! It was a tiny bit of patchouli blended with sweet orange. It was so subtle, just an undertone, but stull there. Start with a small amount. The EO is super potent, I am not sure of an FO.

I don't know about the fragrance, I only used the EO.

Patch is very strong, and is rarely used as the dominant quantity. Sometimes it is used as low as 5-10% in a blend.

What you smell in the bottle isn't relevant: when you do a blend, put few drops in a closed jar and return after few hours to smell it.

Here's a link about EO blends:
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28775

patchouli/lavender is a favorite for us. it's actually great with most things. have only used patch EO though.

I think rose or coconut would be good. Some people like lavender with patchouly but it seemed a little harsh to me when I tried it.

I have done these:

lemon patchouli - not so keen on that one
peppermint-eucalyptus-patchouli-rosemary - love this one
lavender-patchouli-rosemary - also love this one

I used very little patch in all these blends.

I have the patchouli EO. I also have the sandalwood but FO. I would like to blend the two. Can anyone give me a ratio recommendation? would it be like 3:1 sandalwood FO:patchouli EO? or is that even too much patch?

I love patchouli EO and mix it with orange at a ratio of 3 parts orange to 1 part patchouli. I also love patchouli soaped on it's own, it's an earthy smell, my favourite!

1 part frankincense
1 part myrrh
1 part patchouli
3 parts sandalwood
I make this for my son and he loves it.

I recently ordered some new fragrance oils, one of which is patchouli. I have never smelled this before but looking around online I've seen that it's pretty common so I decided to give it a try. IMO this oil really, really smells terrible. Might not be too bad thought mixed with something else, anyone have any suggestions??
Hello there! My husband loves patchouli scent. But it is not recommend to use only Patchouli on the soaps. I love to mix 80% patchouli mixing with 20% of chocolate or vanilla fragrance .
Also, Patchouli is awesome adding Bergamot essential oil that has some fruits and sweet scents.

Hello there! My husband loves patchouli scent. But it is not recommend to use only Patchouli on the soaps. I love to mix 80% patchouli mixing with 20% of chocolate or vanilla fragrance .
Also, Patchouli is awesome adding Bergamot essential oil that has some fruits and sweet scents.
Christy, hasn't been here since 2012, this thread is from 13 yrs ago. If you look at the top left hand corner of the post you will see the date of each one. If you are posting on threads this old it most likely won't have the members still here.

Just a quick reply to you…i use straight patchouli in my soap and have not had any issues 😊

As Relle already stated, this is a really old thread. As a patchouli lover I’m wondering who recommended that it not be used on its own in soap? Straight patch is awesome on its own!

I don’t know where you heard that you can’t use Patchouli on its own, that’s definitely not true. I use it often alone, and often blended. My favorite is Patchouli & Orange, and Patchouli & Ylang Ylang.

Latest posts

Back