What I've been doing recently

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivcarm

Reaction score
Thought I would show what I have been doing recently in the world that is making soaps!
This one is Christmas Swirls with Yuletide fragrance from Sensory Perfection, lovely smell, but I am not 100% happy with the way the colours have gone scale like, a few of my soaps have done this when using CP
HPIM1233.jpg

The next one is Honey Bee, a dupe of Lush's Honey I washed the kids, it smells devine, CPHP this one
HPIM1234.jpg

These two are Karam Type on the left (my CPHP rebatch that I mentioned on another thread) and Tobacco Leaf CPHP which has a strong scent of violets, on the right, my fave at the mo!
HPIM1236.jpg

I hope you like them, any help with the scales effect? I used CP colours from Gracefruit, I think they are similar to Labcolours.

Viv they are all beautiful, and such lovely chunky chunk bars!!
I think the "scale" effect that you talk about is over heating, not 100% sure on that, But I think it might be.
On second thought, I think that scaly look has something to do with using titanium dioxide. Did you use td in that batch? I'm sure I remember reading something somewhere when someone was selling soap with that same effect, I will try to remember. Meanwhile, perhaps one of the long term soapers will chime in, I really think it's the td.

:lol: Well if you found out what caused it; I'd love to 'copy' your look with a dragon's blood FO batch. Seriously, all of your soaps are beautiful, but I just looove that one 8)

Beautiful soaps!
I like the craquelé effect in your Xmas soap! Both classy and "antique"

did you use TD?
I heard from others that it happens with too much water and TD, but obviously the pink does it as well - unless you mixed it with TD.
I think heath seperates the oil/water. The dye is water soluble so ...

I use both Gracefruits and Labcolors, but it did not yet occur in my soaps.

If I can find the topic on this, I'll post again.

Lovely! I actually like the scale effect and think Dragons Blood fo with it would be a great combo.

Nice work! :)

Jude

I get that scale effect with TD occasionally....not sure why. Sometimes it looks cool, others not so much. I love your soaps though. The Honey Bee one is my fave!! Mmmm.

No TD, I didn't heat up the oils, all I do it melt the solid oils, add room temp liquid oils, then add my lye water which is warm, it was in a wooden mould and top. I don't mind the effect, but.......maybe it is too much water as it was a new fragrance oil, I used full water and not my usual discount.
Oh well, maybe that will be my trade mark, dragon scale soap! I do have some dragons blood somewhere... :lol:

Latest posts

Back