What does it mean if soap tries to "rice"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PracticalDreamer

Reaction score
Hi there,

Forgive me if this subject has been covered previously (I can't seem to find it in the search engine or on Google), but I've been scanning the Scent Review boards and keep coming across this term of "ricing". As in, "this soap tried to rice on me when I added the FO". What on earth does that mean? Thanks!

Christa

No, I don't believe so - I saw it in several posts and it was listed separately from tracing mentions. I have a feeling it has something to do with the texture of the soap, that maybe it causes separation between the oils or something along those lines...

Ricing can occur when you add a certain FO - It almost looks like lumpy pudding. You have the this pudding part and then little rice like lumps in it. Kinda hard to explain - but you'll know when it happens.

It's definitely not the same as trace, you're correct about that. Some FOs will, as soon as they meet the lye solution, create little granules/lumps of congealed mess that look a bit like grains of rice in the soap batter. It's a big hassle, and definitely not desirable.

One batch that riced on me was salvageable, I was able to use the stick blender to incorporate those lumps into the batter and glop it into the mold, producing an ugly but usable soap. The other batch ended up being a loss as it wouldn't play nicely, so I tossed the whole mess. (Not a rebatcher here)

I wish I had a picture of ricing to show you, but it's pretty distinctive and unmistakable when it happens. I always add my FOs to my melted oils before adding the lye solution, which heads of most problems with most FOs, but some are just plain difficult. :?

when someone refers to their soap turning to "rice" they usually mean that their soap seized. A lot of fragrance oils tend to cause the soap to accelerate trace very very fast! The soap tends to get harder faster, or sometimes FO's may cause your soap to look like cottage cheese. Yuk

Ohhhh, my bad :oops:
I actually have experienced this, but didn't know it had a name (besides the expletives I used at the time) :)

Can happen with essential oils too. Rose Geranium is a major offender(RG is a bit of PITA actually-speeds trace as well.I deal with it's idiosyncracies because I adore the smell)
Have had ricing once with peppermint but I'd let the batter sit a minute after adding the EO instead of mixing it thru straight away.No probs since then tho. :roll:

Thank you for the info, everyone! Hopefully I won't have my own personal experience with ricing any time soon...

oh - you will.

nope - dopersoap, it's not the same as seizing. when both have happened to you it'll be obvious! seizing is when you suddenly find you have "soap on a stick" as in the soap suddenly becomes a solid block mid-stir.

ricing is when the texture of the soap shifts - sometimes on it's way to seizing but not always...

it starts out smooth and then you see it getting grainy - like applesauce. then it's more like rice pudding and you are cursing yourself.

SOMETIMES you can stickblend it into submission, and sometimes that just makes it thicken rapido. But it's probably worth trying anyway because riced soap often leaves you will lye pockets (but not always, sometimes you just end up with slightly odd looking soap.

Latest posts

Back