Waygu Beef Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
59BEB244-109C-4A62-8462-D644078C83DC.jpeg
Janice (aka “the Wife” ;)) had a birthday Saturday. To celebrate, we visitied a locally sourced, organic, grass-fed butcher and splurged on crazy expensive dry-aged, waygu ribeyes. While there, I found this incredible waygu tallow. You know what I’m thinking. It would be a huge splurge at $1/oz, but it’s tempting. BTW, the steaks ruined us for all other beef. What do y’all think? Worth it?

If you were going to sell and wanted to keep your cost/bar on the lower side, probably not. If it is just for personal use and you are curious - why not try some in a batch? I doubt it would feel any different than regular tallow in soap.

Don't waste wagyu tallow on soap. Use it on food. Get regular tallow for soap.

I barbecue and grill a fair bit. While I've not had the opportunity to do this myself, other grillers/BBQ'ers consider basting with tallow to be the creme de la creme of ways to prepare meat -- and that is especially true if it's wagyu tallow. If the tallow is from dry aged meat, it might have enough of an dry-aged umami "funk" that you wouldn't want to use it for sweet dishes, but it would be a lovely accent for meat and savory dishes.

Agree -- eat it. I had to use organic Leaf lard the other day because I got sent the wrong product, and that itself was enough waste for the two of us !

Oh boy, that fat looks very fine!
I'm going to go the other way and say that the price is in the same ballpark as some imported butters.

A soap made from this would have ridiculously high label appeal in some quarters, and the organic status means the fat will be about as clean (in the sense of being free of anything other than the actual fat itself) as you can get.

I would expect that it will trace slower than a commercial fat (which may have residual chemicals/solvents that tend to speed up trace), but otherwise feel pretty much the same as plain tallow - I would be interested to hear if you notice any difference (using this quality of fat vs standard tallow).

I'm going to be the oddball here and say make soap with it. I don't like eating animal fat, its way too unhealthy for my liking.

I don't even use butter when I bake and could never eat wagyu.

Don't ask me about what I do to bacon to make it edible, some people may consider it a violation of nature.

Don't waste wagyu tallow on soap. Use it on food. Get regular tallow for soap.

I barbecue and grill a fair bit. While I've not had the opportunity to do this myself, other grillers/BBQ'ers consider basting with tallow to be the creme de la creme of ways to prepare meat -- and that is especially true if it's wagyu tallow. If the tallow is from dry aged meat, it might have enough of an dry-aged umami "funk" that you wouldn't want to use it for sweet dishes, but it would be a lovely accent for meat and savory dishes.

We picked up some waygu ground beef patties at the same butcher and cooked them in the tallow. Best burger I’ve ever had. We’re not eating bread, so we stacked them on grilled portobellos with caramelized onions and baby arugula.

We picked up some waygu ground beef patties at the same butcher and cooked them in the tallow. Best burger I’ve ever had. We’re not eating bread, so we stacked them on grilled portobellos with caramelized onions and baby arugula.

The "smoker dudes" who use tallow for cooking or basting their meat would approve!!! ;)

I normally use veg oil -- olive or avocado -- for basting meat if I want to use fat for that purpose. Mainly habit -- it's easy to grab the bottle of oil and get 'er done. I'm going to have to try tallow when I'm grilling meat this summer to see what all the fuss is about.

I am so torn on this one.

The foodie in me SCREAMS at the idea of using wagyu tallow for anything but cooking.

The experimentalist in me, though, really wants to see what that soap would be like.

The marketer in me is excited about the label appeal.

Back