Water Substitutes - other liquids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAsoaps

Reaction score
I know you can replace water with other liquids (I mean the water you mix the lye into)... but are there any liquids you can NOT replace water with for whatever reason?
I'd like to experiment with different liquids but want to make sure it doesn't... explode or something.

I'm thinking: coffee, tea, soda, maybe juice (with preservatives added later), alcoholic drinks, etc.

And anything else I need to take into consideration when replacing water with other liquids??

Alcoholic liquids need the alcohol cooked off before you can use them. Beer or other carbonated liquids must be completely flat, boiling beer will take care of the alcohol and carbonation. Failure to remove either/both can result in volcanoing or seizing.
Any liquid with sugar can cause overheating, take care your soap stays cool while its saponifying. This is why many people who use milk prevent gel.

Don't use very acidic liquids like lemon juice, it can ruin your soap. Some liquids like coffee or milk can scorch and smell bad if it gets too hot when mixing in the lye. Make sure the liquid is cold and add the lye slowly, some people even freeze their liquids to help keep temps down.

Never head of anyone using soda but some people use carrot or tomato juice with good results. You don't use preservatives in soap.

Latest posts

Back