Warm Process Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericllucas

Reaction score
I'm sitting here studying HP soap. I'm wondering if there is a process between CP and HP. Indulge me...

What if I mixed oils and lye/water at, I don't know, 160 degrees F. Lets not put in colors or fragrances as yet. Mix them up until they trace. Lets say the batter is now, what, 155 degrees F? Won't the additional heat accelerate saponification more than mixing at 100 degrees F?

I would guess the batter will swell and then collapse when the temperature drops, making a distinct crater in the middle, not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

What do you think would happen if you mixed the oils at a high temp?

Soaping hot?

Or do you mean mixing everything at a hotter temp and then cooking at a low temp?

I soap hot most of the time. Hot oils right from the double boiler or microwave, and freshly mixed hot lye. It traces faster/sets up faster.
I don't try this if I'm planning swirls or using a fast FO because it's usually just too quick.
I like it if I'm doing a one color, or oatmeal or something simple, or if I want to do those chunky tops in a hurry.

eta: I will swirl hot sometimes, or do other stuff, just because it's hot doesn't usually mean it's "OMG panic, slam it in the mold" fast. Not emergency soaping. It's just quicker than rtcp. lol :D

Yes, it accelerates saponification, but not necessarily more than heavier blending.

At one time, I was able to finish saponification by blender only (which means CP, and when I finished blending, the soap was done and didn't zap).

Also, I am not sure, but I fear that randomly playing with temperature, you may get separation. While the blender doesn't give you separation ...

And like it was mentioned above, it will trace more heavily, and this is why it's more practical to apply heat after you mold. Unless you apply too much and it overheats.

Definitely a risk of a fissure down the middle if you're using CO over 30%. Ask me how I know! :lol:

Fragola said:
Yes, it accelerates saponification, but not necessarily more than heavier blending.
The problem I see is the soap batter moving to rigid trace (soap on a stick) before saponification.

Fragola said:
At one time, I was able to finish saponification by blender only (which means CP, and when I finished blending, the soap was done and didn't zap).
You must have been using 10:1 Water:Lye :) I can't imagine being able to blend soap when saponification is done unless there is a ton of water in it.

Fragola said:
Also, I am not sure, but I fear that randomly playing with temperature, you may get separation. While the blender doesn't give you separation ...
I would only propose to mix oil and lye/water at a higher temperature (160 degrees) and then blend until thick liquidy without being gloppy then get it in the mold and insulate it. I generally use 1.8:1 water:lye so that should speed things along a bit.

The problem I see is the soap batter moving to rigid trace (soap on a stick) before saponification.
Either before or after - problem would be pouring into the mold.

You must have been using 10:1 Water:Lye Smile I can't imagine being able to blend soap when saponification is done unless there is a ton of water in it.
I must not :D

It started as a perfectly normal full water recipe - I didn't plan for the result. Probably can be done with any recipe which traces decently fast.

To be truthful, after saponification, it was a bit thick (like a heavy trace, but thinner than a HP). And just before pouring, I did mix in a little water, to be able to whip it and make it more pourable. The total water was probably between 3:1 and 3.5:1, nothing huge.

Fragola said:
Also, I am not sure, but I fear that randomly playing with temperature, you may get separation.
Holy jinxed soap ! Happened to me today, while soaping at higher temperature to get some beeswax melted :shock:

When I said that yesterday, it was just a wild guess, never heard or seen it happen before.

I used to soap hot when I started (I had misread instructions and thought that any temp was fine, as long as lye and water were within 10 deg of each other).

I had a lot of ricing, seperation, seizing and hot messes. Some bars turned out o.k, but not great.

I haven't tried it recently, so don't no if more experience would make a difference?

Back