Vegetable shortening in Greece

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimitris

Reaction score
I recently came across a recipe that involves vegetable shortening, or in other words Crisco in the US. I hope that's right.

I live in Greece and we have a similar product which is made of vegetable fats but also includes "butter flavouring". Is it possible to use it, or will the soap have a buttery smell?

Thanks!

In Australia vegetable shortening is called Copha which is coconut oil, so not sure if that's the same where you are.

It is probably made of palm oil at a guess. Most vegetable shortenings are palm or a mix. Copha seems to be strictly australian and is coconut Oil.
Check the label carefully for what vegetable oil it is and any other additions. Butter flavorings are not desirable imho but may not have an effect if you add other scents. Have No real experience of butter flavorings sorry.

Well the ingredients are:
Vegetable fats and oils, hydrogenated vegetable fats, butter flavouring, vitamin A&D, B-caroten (colourant).

This is most probably palm oil, something like 99%. I am thinking of using this for a laundry soap, but I have no idea how to calculate it's SAP value. Could I use Crisco in the lye calculator instead?

Latest posts

Back