Vanilla

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybella

Reaction score
I see soaps with Vanilla used as a fragrance & they are not dark - like a Blackberry Vanilla, Peppermint Vanilla & they have white in them.

Is there a way to use a vanilla fragrance & not have it turn dark?

There must be but I don't know what it is :-o

There is a liquid called vanilla stabilizer that you mix with your FO that will help prevent discoloration. You can buy it from most soap suppliers.

There are some scents that have very little to no vanilla in them, even though 'vanilla' is a part of its name. Black Raspberry Vanilla is one of them. The ones that I have used have 0% vanilla in them and have never discolored on me. The same may be true of the Peppermint Vanilla FO, but I don't know for sure since I have never used it.

Also, there is a product called 'Vanilla Stabilizer' that some vendors sell which helps to keep vanilla scents from turning dark. Your mileage may vary with it, though, depending on the particular % of vanilla contained in your FO. I use the one from Bittercreek North and although I have only ever used it with one FO so far, it has worked fantastic with that particular FO. The FO in question is Santa's Pipe from SweetCakes. I'm not sure of the exact vanilla % in the FO, but without the stabilizer, it turns my soap medium tan. With the stabilizer, my soap has remained white for almost 3 years now.

IrishLass :)

Thank you both. I thought when we discussed Vanilla Stabilizer the conclusion was it didn't work. :?

Is there a different one for CP? I have used it in MP.

Thank you both. I thought when we discussed Vanilla Stabilizer the conclusion was it didn't work. :?

Is there a different one for CP? I have used it in MP.

I've had reasonable results using it in CP...still get some discolouration depending on the vanilla content (up to about 5% vanilla I've found it works really well) but regardless it's not as intense, and takes much longer to occur. I've still got some little chunks of vanilla scented soap that I made a couple of years ago that are still an off-creamy white

The vanilla stabilizer that I buy from BitterCreek North is made for CP, and my Santa's Pipe soap (made via CP) is living proof that it works well with a mild to medium discoloring FO. You'll just have to experiment by using it with varying FOs of varying %'s of vanilla content to see how much vanilla is too much.

For what its worth, on the recommendation of others who have had success with BCN's stabilizer, I do not mix the stabilizer with my FO. Instead, I mix it with my base oils before anything else is added to them.

IrishLass :)

Back