Vanilla Stabilizer or Titanium Dioxide?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyH

Reaction score
I have a soap that I want to scent with a FO containing 1% vanilla. I do not want the color to turn brown so I ordered some of the vanilla stabilizer for CP from WSP.

These are the directions from WSP:

Measure fragrance and place in glass container. Depending on vanilla content of fragrance, add 1 part stablizer to 2 parts fragrance or 1 part stablizer to 1 parts fragrance. Mix well and allow to sit a minimum of 2 minutes. Add to product.

So, question #1 is how much vanilla stabilizer do I use for 2 oz of FO that has a vanilla content of only 1%? Would I use this formula -- 2 oz X .01 (1%) = 0.02 oz of vanilla stabilizer? Has anyone had any problems using vanilla stabilizer in the CP soaps, for example - does it make the soap trace faster or anyone had trouble with their soaps seizing?

Next question, I've seen where some people use TO to keep their soaps white (if that is the color that the soap is supposed to be). What is the best way to keep your colors accurate and from turning brown when you use a FO that has vanilla in it?

I know that there will be many different answers probably, but I would like to know everyone's opinion about this.

Thanks!

Are you doing MP or CP? I don't know about WSP's vanilla stabilizer, but I looked into buying it from BB and decided not to because the site says it doesn't work for CP soap. The vanilla CP soaps that I've seen have an uncolored swirl in them to give them a little bit of white.

I haven't used titanium dioxide, though I have an envelope of it in a pigment sampler I purchased. Wikipedia says it's used in food and topical products but can be a carcinogen if inhaled. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide Whether or not that is a deterrant is up to you, I'm sure, since we also work with lye and it's something we're warned not to inhale.

American Valkyrie - I also saw on Brambleberry that the stabilizer would not work in CP. Then I saw the WSP and theirs says that it is good for CP too :) I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bittercreek has one that works specifically in CP. I use it 1:1. Be aware that with a high vanilla content FO (not 1% like you're using) it will turn bright yellow during cure (I FREAKED!) then fade to a sort of natural soap looking color by the end of cure. It will not be white white however. That takes TD. I should think with only 1% vanilla you would be more than OK with a 1:1, but I'd be curious to hear whether the stabilizer yellows your soap with that low of a vanilla content. Can you post your results pleeeeeeez!?

(sidenote--cannot get a statement that the stabilizer does not contain phthalates, so I don't label soaps with this in it as phthalate-free. Wanted to give you a heads up in case that's important to you.)

BakingNana said:
Be aware that with a high vanilla content FO (not 1% like you're using) it will turn bright yellow during cure (I FREAKED!) then fade to a sort of natural soap looking color by the end of cure. It will not be white white however. That takes TD.

I am so glad that you told me this! I just cooked up a batch of soap this morning, used the vanilla stabilizer and IT'S YELLOW and I mean bright yellow LOL And it made the purple an ucky color and turned the pink to orange. The loaf is supposed to be purple with cream and pink swirls.

If I would not have known this, I would have thought that I messed up the whole batch. Thank you so much for posting this tip!

1% vanilla content is pretty miniscule as vanilla contents go, and I've found that TD will work just fine with it. One of my favorite FO's (Sugared Spruce from WSP) has 1.5% vanilla in it and works great with TD. I color it with TD @ .75 teaspoons ppo, along with a little bit of UM green, and it consistently stays a lovely light mint green color without any morphing at all, even two years down the road.

I soaped the same FO without any TD or colorants once, and it came out a light beige color.

IrishLass :)

Back