Using Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprilhwth

Reaction score
I am contemplating using tallow instead of palm oil. I have read about getting the fat locally and preparing it myself. I am wondering, is the fat that comes off of ground beef when you cook it considered tallow? Could that be used in soap?

Technically yes, but you might have a hard time 1) collecting enough to make it worthwhile and 2) purifying it enough to get the cooked meat smell out.

When I was a kid my mom kept a big jar under the sink for pouring off cooking fats, but it got rancid and nasty pretty quickly. I would never use that in soap. You can render your own tallow from clean butcher's fat scraps, which I have done. It took a while to locate a source, but I finally found a local butcher who sold me some for $0.01 a pound. However, by the time I finished rendering it out, I decided that if my time is worth anything I would be money ahead to just buy ready-to-use tallow from Essential Depot.

I like to use meat-based shortening. It's supposedly 96-98% tallow. Much easier than rendering it myself.

I would think that it might be difficult/time consuming to separate the fat from the cooked meat juices. I think you would have to cook an awful lot of ground beef to get enough to soap with.

I bought some tallow used for frying but haven't yet made any soap with it yet. It was pretty cheap - $2.90 for 500grams (about a pound). At least that is cheap for here in Australia, where everything seems to cost more than double what you guys in the US pay.

I've rendered tallow before and it wasn't that big a deal, just chopped it up and boiled it in water. It was stinky, though. But with such limited time and energy these days, I would rather use the tallow-based shortening like Marilyna mentioned. Easy-peasy and not that pricey once you consider your time, etc.

Has anyone in the US found a source for tallow? I'm in VA and can find lard with no problem (lots of pig farms near us) but I've never run across a tallow based shortening or in any other form.

If you're looking for a smaller quantity, Essential Depot and Old Time Soap Company sells beef tallow.
I believe 5# is 13.99 at Old Time Soap Company.

WalMart GV Shortening is tallow. It also has its own oil line on SoapCalc to allow you to run your recipe. I use it and really like it. I did use lard, but prefer the tallow. However, it is not the main oil in my soap. Only about 17%. Maybe if others use it at a higher percentage they can give you more information on it.

Definitely smaller quantities! I make it for personal use and I don't think I could get through 50 LBS of tallow in a lifetime!

WalMart GV Shortening is tallow. It also has its own oil line on SoapCalc to allow you to run your recipe. I use it and really like it. I did use lard, but prefer the tallow. However, it is not the main oil in my soap. Only about 17%. Maybe if others use it at a higher percentage they can give you more information on it.

I use it at 39%. Makes lovely soap!

I live in Virginia and just buy the Walmart GV shortening. It makes nice soap and is pretty cheap. You should try the lard too. Either make super creamy white soaps that are dreamy. Essential Depot was mentioned earlier and they are also a good source for quality beef tallow if you don't mind ordering online.

I just used tallow for the first time this past week and so far I like it! Can't wait until it cures and see what it's like. Heard so many good things about it but never got around to using it. I used Essential Depot's tallow, but didn't realize that Walmart's shortening was tallow as well. Will have to try that and see how it compares. I don't mind ordering online, but if I can get something from the store, all the better.

I just looked at the ingredients for the Walmart GV shortening. It says it has palm as the second ingedient. While that is not a problem. I was looking for all beef tallow.

I just looked at the ingredients for the Walmart GV shortening. It says it has palm as the second ingedient. While that is not a problem. I was looking for all beef tallow.

Yeah, I have yet to find a shortening with all one ingredient. My very first batch ever was a crisco batch. These days, every time I pick up a tub of shortening, palm is usually an ingredient, but there are others in there, as well. I really prefer to know just what I am getting/using.

Lard is the rendered fat from hogs and tallow is from other animals such as cattle, deer, bear... check out SoapCalc and it lists many down under tallow/beef, etc. But I am assuming everyone here is referring to beef tallow. I love using it. I have used it at 50-60% for bath soap and 100% for laundry soap. I have found a shortening in our local store, I think it is Shure Fine brand, a store brand, that has a lot of tallow in it. But have rendered my own. I don't have to stand over it working it the entire time, so I don't find it that time consuming, nor do I mind the smell, so for me this is not a hassle. I would suggest that if you are willing to attempt to render it yourself, find a local butcher shop or if your grocery store has a meat department that cuts/packages meat, talk with them to find out what they do with the fat they trim off. If your normal grocery store does not cut their own meat, check some others out. I am lucky, I have friends who butcher so I get mine from them. They trim it and grind it for me, I make soap and give them some. And we all have fresh meat. Life is good.

Latest posts

Back