Using Palm Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjude

Reaction score
Just got finished melting, stirring, and dividing out some palm. Note to self: next time buy the no stir!

Anyway, in conducting a bit of research across the forums I note the palm % in recipes can wildly vary from 10 - 40 %. Someone once told me they have used it up to 55%!

My question for everyone is how many folks have a higher % of palm in their recipe than olive oil? Is it possible to have a good bar of soap with palm as your predominant oil? :)

Thanks!

Hi Jude. sorry I doon't have answer to this question. Hope someone will pipe up and tell us both. Olive Oil is my main oil.

JK, oo is my main oil too and I'm sure it is for lots of folks as well. That's why 55% palm seemed so out of the ordinary to me. :shock:

I don't have an answer either.

But, I agree on the palm oil. Next time I order, I'm ordering no stir!

I'm on the road right now...but, my favorite recipe is about half OO and then equal parts CO and PO.

Lately I've been using 30%palm in my basic soap recipe.
For my whipped soap I use 50% palm.

i never use OO in my soap. for me, i get really dry skin when ever i do OO so i stopped using it. i have used Palm or Lard at up to 60% in my recipes though...

Krissy, 60% combined palm and lard, or 60% of either?

I find it so interesting that you don't use oo. If I remember correctly, the person who made a 55% palm bar used only around 10% oo and filled the rest in with castor and a little co. Liked the palm as a stabilizing oil and hardening oil.

I don't like palm. I've been tinkering with my base recipe, trying to substitute palm for pko. Don't like it. Going back to pko.

Latest posts

Back