Using bay laurel oil in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missmoneypenny

Reaction score
I got hold of some bay laurel oil ( that s oil from the berries, not an EO) and had a go at making " Aleppo soap" in a HP at home . The results were so so. I have had problems with the soaps being quite crumbly yet oily and hard to cut. I am now thinking of trying again with a CP and maybe adding a hard fat to the laurel and olive oils. Maybe coconut, or beef tallow. Has anyone else tried something similar?

Hi Craig I used 30% laurel 70% olive 2% super fat and recipe was from soapcalc.net I boiled for 2-3 hours then left to set for 2 days . I am a lot more familiar with CP and so I am thinking of switching to CP and adding a hard fat for better hardness and lather. But still I hope retain the qualities of olive and laurel. I d love to hear from others who has tried laurel oil I a CP soap.

Just bumping this in case there's anyone out there making laurel oil soap/ laurel oil containing soap by CP

Here's my version of "Aleppo soap". It was made by CP. 60% EVOO and 40% Laurel Berry Oil with an 8% SF. Didn't add any EO/FO as I didn't think the scents would come through. The laurel berry oil has quite the strong scent that came through even after making it into soap. It's a lovely olive green color (the picture doesn't do it justice). I haven't actually tried the soap as it is still curing but I can't wait to try it out. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1423241525.962821.jpg

Thanks Tizzy your soap looks great and it's the kind of thing I am trying to reproduce. I actually made a 60% OO 20% LO 10%CO 10% BEEF tallow a couple of days ago. I haven't cut it yet but the colour looks good. I will try and post some pics. I'm planning on curing for at least 2 months.
Depressingly, my HP "Aleppo" 80% OO and 20%LO made in November is developing DOS.

If you enter "Aleppo" into the search bar at the top, there were a couple of threads on making it a while back. I think someone gave their method and recipe.

thanks susie I did check those posts out I think they mostly used HP. I did HP in the 1st instance with the laurel oil but am not experienced in that technique and was not too happy with the results. But i did get some tips from the threads.I've now switched to CP.

Back