Unmolding after 48 hrs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meowmeow2d

Reaction score
Just made my 1st batch. Some soap went into a loaf mold, some went to 4 plastic fish mold. I unmolded and cut the loaf at 24hrs but the fish in the plastic mold is not coming out, even after 48hrs. What should I do? I read putting it in the freezer will help shrink it? How long should it stay in the freezer?

I put my soap in for about a half an hour. That usually does the trick when the silicone mold isn't cooperating :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Put it in the freezer. If it is a plastic be careful when unmolding as you can crack the mold. Usually if you let it thaw a little the moisture will release it. It using the hard plastic molds spray them with pan, then the soap will slide out with just a little pressure on the mold. If it is a silicone just freeze the soapie and pop it out. Congratulations on your first batch

Update: I still can't take the soap out of the molds (without breaking it in pieces). Anything wrong with letting it just cure in the mold?

You don't want to do that. It will still be hard later to get them out. Plus the soap will not cure properly inside the mold. It needs to be exposed to air. Also, it is good to mist all sides of it with alcohol so that it does not grow ash. I always use acrylic molds myself. They are much easier to work with. However, even they get to be a pain in the rear. It's best to unmold your soaps after just 12-24 hours depending on the formula you are using. When you leave them in there for a couple of days it gets exponentially harder to get out.

you can wipe the cavities with mineral oil first. mineral oil won't react with lye. putting it in the freezer prior to unmolding (1 hour) also helps a lot.

Yep, leave it in the freezer overnight, then put them under running water (plastic side to the water, with your hand under the soap to catch it when it pops out). I just use cool tap water, not hot.

Back