Uggg what went wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezzy

Reaction score
Hi, I just tried my first batch of honey, oatmeal soap here is the recipe I used

PO 180g
CO 94g
OO 82g
Castor 24g
Shea 20g
1 tbs honey
2tbs ground baby oatmeal

lye 55g
liquid 152g 1/2 water 1/2 gm

I put it in a margarine tub (my favorite mold right now) so avoid a 1/2 gel I put it in the cold oven. I took a peak and it was a disgusting mess. Lots and lots of oil on top.

I am attempting a re-batch right now and it looks like tuna salad... it keeps separating in the pot. Should I pitch it?

Where did I go wrong?

I'm sorry Jez =\ I have awful luck with soap that I add honey to. I would have just left it alone for a while because it might have reabsorbed the oils over 24-48 hours. I hope it turns out okay and sorry I don't have more info for you!

I re-batched it and it is fine... I don't think it was going to absorb. It was strange. I should have taken a pic. There sides of the form were soap and there was just a huge pool of oil. the whole middle. I did a zap test on the oil and there was no zap. Just weird. I am so glad the re-batch is ok. Even though it isn't very pretty.

How do you make a pretty honey-oat soap?

I think it was too much honey. I use from 1-3 tablespoons of honey in recipes that have from 30-40 oz of oils with no problems. For your recipes at 14 ounces to have a whole tablespoon--that's too much. The amounts that I use are equivalent to 850-1134 grams of oils vs 400 grams that you had in the recipe.

It's said that honey can cause the soap to overheat--so that's what I think happened. If you choose to toss the soap, next time cut back on the honey...only about 1 1/2 teaspoons in that amount of oils to start and see if that helps.

Jezzy said:
Thanks! I thought it was one TBS pp! lol... I rebatched it it was fine.

I use 1 tbsp PPO and never have any problems. It could have been a temp issue...not sure...

Glad you were able to save it!

Back