Two questions regarding CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shivani

Reaction score
Hi!! I cant find oxides and micas at my place..i use natural colorants..i want to ask that if I use vermellion for red color,will it be safe on skin? My second question is about vegetable shortening and crisco..are these same? I checked online nd found that crisco is a mixture of some oils and available with different names..in soap calc,crisco is mentioned,but no other brand..i found it in a store with palm,soybean and some oil..now,if I want to add that to my soap,how should I calculate?? As its SAP value is not known.

vermillion is not skin safe, it contains mercury and is toxic. You can use madder root to get a strawberry red color in soap but a dark true red is hard to achieve.
If you can find a loose powder eyeshadow, you can often use it in soaps. Check the ingredients to see if its mostly mica or oxides. I would do small test batches though to see if the colors stay true in CP.

If the vegetable shortening you have contains soy and palm, you should be able to use the new crisco option in soap cal.

Last edited:
If the vegetable shortening you have contains soy and palm, you should be able to use the new crisco option in soap cal.

I think that the reason the reason soapcalc lists Crisco and not just "vegetable shortening" is because Crisco is widely available and any to vegetable shortening may have different ratios of different vegetable oils. If they list the % of each you could calculate them by calculating the weight of each oil in the mix and adding them individually but just using the Crisco values will throw off your SAP values.

Last edited:
Thanx boyago!! Thats realy helpful..i'l keep that in mind..i think I shud not use shortening..i hate maths..that wud be a lot of calculation.:(

I think that the reason the reason soapcalc lists Crisco and not just "vegetable shortening" is because Crisco is widely available and any to vegetable shortening may have different ratios of different vegetable oils. If they list the % of each you could calculate them by calculating the weight of each oil in the mix and adding them individually but just using the Crisco values will throw off your SAP values.
This is what I was going to say. If your shortening is identical to crisco you can use the crisco one (new crisco is 25% palm 75% soybean) but if its not you need to calculate the individual oils so that your SAP values are correct. There are many shortenings that are all one oil, though I don't know how it would change the sap value if that oil has been hydrogenated.... Like soybean is liquid usually I believe, and hydrogenated to be used for vegetable shortening. Palm is a hard/semi solid oil normally, so pure palm shortening is still just palm.

Latest posts

Back