Total newbie - help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have a great set of scales I use for small amounts. It's very accurate and measures tiny amounts

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

Before you do anything else, go to soapcalc.net. It is a free online lye calculator. Click on each number to learn how to use each section. You MUST learn to use a soap(lye) calculator before making any soap. It is NOT optional. I will not give you a recipe with actual weights. You must learn this for your own safety, and the safety of everyone that uses your soap. Never, ever, ever take anyone's recipes and make without running it through a calculator for yourself. Typos happen. People are human, and prone to errors.

Hmm...you may have a valid point. Let me send my son some links to lye calculators to see what he thinks is easier. I just never gave him a choice when he was here, as soapcalc is what I use 90% of the time.:oops:

I think the brambleberry calculator may be less confusing for some. Less options seems to flow a bit nicer for new soapers. Worth a try and soap cal is better than going off recipes.

Before you do anything else, go to soapcalc.net. It is a free online lye calculator. Click on each number to learn how to use each section. You MUST learn to use a soap(lye) calculator before making any soap. It is NOT optional. I will not give you a recipe with actual weights. You must learn this for your own safety, and the safety of everyone that uses your soap. Never, ever, ever take anyone's recipes and make without running it through a calculator for yourself. Typos happen. People are human, and prone to errors.

I have a lye calculator which iv been playing with

It might be helpful to post a topic titled something like "Dyslexic soaper needs a good lye calculator" or something. I am not familiar with dyslexia at all, but I wonder if maybe Soapcalc has so much going on that it is more difficult?

Please don't focus on my dyslexia. It's not an issue. Like iv said I have a lye calculator which I will always use and I can work out measurements just fine, it's % I can't work out in my head.

My dyslexia has never caused me any issues in work or play before so please don't focus on it.

Then I would stick to Soap Calc - it looks worse than it is and you can slowly start to explore the "less important" bits as you develop, but at least you'll be familiar with the calc in general from the beginning.

I used the " there because some would argue all the parts are important, but for a beginner with the starting recipes I think you can focus on the total batch size and the oils used, leaving all other things at the default for a normal batch of CP or HP bar soap.

As the OP says, maths dyslexia (I think it's called dyscalclia (sp)) is more to do with understanding the mathematical processes rather than mixing up numbers in the way that a dyslexic will potentially mix letters up. With care and double-checking, something we ALL should do as a matter of course, I don't think think that it will be a major issue in day-to-day soaping.

Thank you. Yes I don't mix numbers up or have problems 'reading' numbers. It's the mathematical process used sometimes. Like percentage. But usually once it see the process and answer it makes perfect sense to me. Like this morning not being able to work out 3% of 100 (embarrassed face) but once I saw the answer I knew it and felt really bloody silly that my brain didn't work that simple maths out lol

The beauty of soapcalc is that you put in the percentage, and it does the math for you. I am math challenged in the worst way, and could not function if I had to convert numbers to percentages or vice versa.

Soapcalc will do all of the math for you. You can plug in the amount you want to make (500 grams) and the percentages of oils you want to use, and does the math for you.

Back