Too soft to cut?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesoapmom

Reaction score
I am guessing this is what happens when it's too soft to cut.
I made @10p last night, freezer for 2 hours to skip gel, in the fridge overnight until 2p today(now). Took it out impatiently to Slice the end off as it was my first attempt at a hanger swirl. Should I put it back in the fridge and try again at 10p tonight? Leave it out on the counter until 10p? How do I know when it's actually ready to cut? This is only my 5th batch or so, so still trying to get the hang of it. Recipe was something like this: 30% OLive, 20% palm, 15%coconut, 20% canola, 5% mango, 5% Shea, 5% castor.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1404755851.381702.jpg

I don't have a lot of experience with ungelled soaps, but I'm sure someone will come along with info on the best time to cut, but I just wanted to jump in and say what pretty soap you've got there. Makes me think of strawberries and cream.

I don't have a lot of experience with ungelled soaps, but I'm sure someone will come along with info on the best time to cut, but I just wanted to jump in and say what pretty soap you've got there. Makes me think of strawberries and cream.

Thanks! I used BB's Berrywine. I was skeptical because it smells awful in the bottle but great in the soap so far.

That was my first thought too, Nav9! SoapMom, you did a beautiful hangar swirl. Looks really yummy. :) I always gel mine so can't help with cutting time but just had to say - great job! :thumbup:

Gorgeous soap! :)

I normally gel, but have made an occasional batch of ungelled soap, and if it were me, I would just leave it on the counter for a couple of days or so before trying to cut it again. There's really no exact, 'set-in-stone' time for cutting ungelled batches. You just have to play it by 'feel'. If it feels to soft to the touch, just give it more time.

IrishLass :)

I rarely let my soap gel, so after I remove it from fridge/freezer, it sits for at least a day or two on the counter before I cut it.

...it's a very, very difficult thing to do....letting it sit on the counter. Alone. I usually have to hide it from myself!

Lovely lovely hanger swirl! Gorgeous color; mind if I ask what it is?

I used some titanium dioxide on the white, but not a ton as I didn't want it bright white. The deep red is burgundy oxide from Bb.

Letting it sit out for another day before cutting !?! Omg I might die, lol.
I rarely let my soap gel, so after I remove it from fridge/freezer, it sits for at least a day or two on the counter before I cut it.

...it's a very, very difficult thing to do....letting it sit on the counter. Alone. I usually have to hide it from myself!

Lovely lovely hanger swirl! Gorgeous color; mind if I ask what it is?

Mine was not soft but I have waited another full day to cut my ungelled soap from the freezer (after it being unmolded). It was too slimy and sweaty to cut it. However, after 48 hours, if your soap still feels too soft,
I would give it a little more time.

Btw, Your soap looks beautiful!

Last edited:
Beautiful soap! I use a recipe that's high in olive oil, so my soaps take a while to harden enough to cut. My early soaps all had drag marks from cutting too soon, and you could see where I had to pull the cutter away from the bar of soap when it stuck. Patience, patience, patience! Soap teaches us patience.

If you can carefully remove it from the mold then sit it out for a day or so it would be better. Did you use what is considered full water? If so in an un-gelled soap it will certainly need to dry a day or two before cutting. My molds come apart so I can get my soap out and let in sit out in the open air. I do not gel most of my soaps and they usually take a couple of days before I cut them depending on lye solution strenght and trace. A well traced soap will set up faster than one just brought to emulisification. Your hanger swirl looks great. Hanger swirls are still my nemesis

My first batch ever was one that I unmolded too soon and tried to cut too soon too... I feel really dumb for being so impatient now, haha. Just wait it out and try again later. Your soap is too pretty to mess up just because you can't wait! :)

I'm new to soap making so have no clue about the hardness, i just cut my first batch at 3pm today and also made mine at 10 pm last night. Mine did go through gel though and my recipe was 60% olive, 30% coconut, and 10% soy with 5% super fat. Mine was nice a firm at time of cutting.
Love your design! It's beautiful. I can't wait to try out new things but now that I found out Michaels is bad news for scents, I have to wait for my things to come in the mail :(

Latest posts

Back