Too much fragrance-- what do I do?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapceress

Reaction score
Today I made a version of the Green Smoothie Whipped Body Butter recipe from Soap Queen (here: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/green-smoothie-whipped-body-butter/) and I realized I made a mistake after I finished-- I added more fragrance than intended.

Here was my intended recipe for reference:
16 oz Avocado Butter
4.2 oz Grapeseed Oil
0.24 oz fragrance
5 tbsp Arrowroot Powder

For a batch of this size, 0.24 oz of fragrance was suggested by the Brambeberry fragrance calculator to reach a "medium" strength, but because I split the batch in half so I could do two fragrances, I added two 0.24 doses to each without thinking. It was only after, when I realized how strongly the lotions were scented (even though they smelled great), that I realized my mistake. The "strong" dose is listed at 0.36 oz, which I've gone over by 0.12 oz.

I had intended to send this as a gift if it worked out. Will this be dangerous for their skin? My skin hasn't reacted to it, but the last thing I want to do is risk hurting someone. I don't have anymore Avocado Butter to add, but I do have quite a bit of oil (coconut and grapeseed) and arrowroot powder left at my disposal. This is my first time making a lotion of any kind, so any suggestion for remedy or any tips are welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I would check is the IFRA usage which should be posted on the site. Second, if it exceeds the usage amount the only way to fix it would be to make more product and add it to what you already have. Using more than the recommended usage rate could cause sensitivity or worse for some folks. Better safe than sorry.

First thing I would check is the IFRA usage which should be posted on the site. Second, if it exceeds the usage amount the only way to fix it would be to make more product and add it to what you already have. Using more than the recommended usage rate could cause sensitivity or worse for some folks. Better safe than sorry.
I tried finding the IFRA earlier, and again just now, but for some reason I can't find them, only the MSDS for each (Black Raspberry Vanilla and Heavenly Honeysuckle, respectively, from Brambleberry in case anyone was wondering). I think I'll have to take their "strong" dosage suggestion from the fragrance calculator as the highest limit, just to be safe. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back