Too many oil choices for whipped butter.. help me choose?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauramw71

Reaction score
So, I am making a list of what I want to purchase. My son has horribly dry skin, almost eczema like, but without the itchiness. He is black/white mixed so he has naturally darker skin. His knees, ankles, and behind his ears are so dry that he looks dirty. It doesn't bother him one bit (this boy has no shame, he doesn't care what other people think lol. But he's 10, that will change). I've tried every cream imaginable, even eucerin like the dr suggested, but nothing is helping.(plus I'd rather be supermommy here to save the day haha) I was thinking maybe a whipped butter might do the trick. I was thinking of shea, with some oils. Now this is where I need help.. I'm not sure what oils to use. I know I would like some Evening Primrose Oil to be sure, but what others would help with this? I've read sooo much about all the oils on Swifty's blog that I'm starting to get them confused. lol
The ones I'm thinking about are:
Emu
Calendula
Borage
pomegranate was sounding good too...

ugh.. my head is SWIMMING at this point! lol

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction anyone can give me!

Laura

When I'm looking at dry irritated skin I like to go simple -
Maybe some jojoba that infused with calendula (I love calendula for skin stuff and jojoba doesn't leave the skin greasy) and then shea butter and/or cocoa butter to firm it up and just see where that takes you.

Or even just try one of the butters and oils at a time so you can get a really good feel for them and how they work on his skin. Then combine the one you like into the perfect butter.

Let us know how it goes!

Leelalee said:
When I'm looking at dry irritated skin I like to go simple -
Maybe some jojoba that infused with calendula (I love calendula for skin stuff and jojoba doesn't leave the skin greasy) and then shea butter and/or cocoa butter to firm it up and just see where that takes you.

Or even just try one of the butters and oils at a time so you can get a really good feel for them and how they work on his skin. Then combine the one you like into the perfect butter.

Let us know how it goes!

That's a good point about trying them individually. However, I used shea and borage in a cream for a BIL who has psoriasis. It really helped him. He called me up and raved about how great it worked. I had read that for borage to be effective it needed to be at about 5% so that's what I did. I also used avocado and jojoba in the cream. I do want to mention that the cream did have an odd smell. It wasn't exactly an unpleasant smell but it wasn't really nice, either. A friend commented it smelled like raw potatoes.

Very good suggestion for trying them individually!!
I think I skipped right over avocado.. can't remember lol I'm not worried about the smell.. it's just for the lil man..
We're about to get blasted with snow tomorrow night so I'll have more time to read about more oils.. (not sure there's any room left in my brain haha)

Thanks again!!!

Hmmm... another oil to ponder.. olive squalane? It's pricey, but reading about it, might be a good one to add?
ACK Is there such thing as over-investigating? LOL

hmm I feel your pain! I have horribly dry skin, like it comes off in sheets no matter how much water I drink or what I use. I took me about a month but came up with seemed like the best things based on the comedogenic
scale. How to combine them yet, not completely sure, but I'm working on it in the idea of a facial balm product.
beeswax
mango butter
macadamia but oil
apricot oil
sunflower oil
carrot seed EO
banana extract

I've never heard of banana extract either.. Tell me more about it! I'm not worried about it being comodegenic since it won't be for his face.
I'm wondering if maybe a sugar scrub might be good for you it you're dealing with flaking skin? More things to ponder lol

Jojoba is great for the skin too. So close to the natural sebum in our skin and is VERY low on the comodegenic scale...

Back