To many soft oils ? or what ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic1963

Reaction score
Ok in search of a good face soap, I found this recipe posted by I think busymamaof3

Olive Oil 18 fl. oz. (29.96%)
Coconut Oil 18 fl. oz. (30.25%)
Jojoba Oil 12 fl. oz. (19.92%)
Sweet Almond Oil 12 fl. oz. (19.87%)
Distilled Water 17.76 fl. oz.
Lye 7.48 oz.

I made it earlier today......and it is still really soft and like glue in the middle.
I don't have alot of experience using so many soft oils, is this normal, and I just need to wait a day or so for it to harden or what ?

Even the pieces that set up around the edge or my mold...feel pretty soft, and chewy feeling. ( not that I would chew it...but didn't know how else to describe it.

But...I did try and soap up my hands with the scraps from the inside of my crock pot.....and it really did nice and felt nice.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this gooey soap for me.

I'm not one to give advice since I'm so new, but I will anyway. :lol: I prefer high percentage of soft oil soaps and my fav so far is a softer soap. Some of my soaps feel a little spongy (my best description) at a few days, and then feel a bit more solid by 4-6 weeks. On the other hand I have a lovely castille that has the consistency of warm butter even after 5 weeks. Not good. I'd give it time, it may harden up more. Good luck!

Thank you......I am a very new soaper....still trying to get a feel for what works and what don't.

I have been soap crazy for weeks trying different things...but this was the first soft oil soap I have tried, so it kind of threw me off a little.

I will give it a few days and see what happens......Its just for me and daughter in law anyway...so we don't mind waiting.

I was afraid I had made something I was gonna have to toss...

I didn't scent it cause I was doing it for a face soap....but I kind of wish I had. I hate the smell of olive oil...lol

I don't think your formula is too high in soft oils, but you will probably want to give it a 6 week cure. With a good cure period, olive actually ends up a hard oil - go figure.

Since your soap is really fresh, I wouldn't worry about it being soft at this point. Even though there is a high % of soft oils in there, it's nothing that a good cure of 4 to 6 weeks won't fix. :)

IrishLass

Thanks so much....... I feel much better about it now.

I am learning.....eventually I will be a true Soaper...:) at least I hope.

you make soap, therefore you ARE a soaper.

plus you have clearly been bitten by the soaping bug - there is no escape, you HAVE BEEN assimilated LOL!

I think the jojoba oil is making it so soft. Try putting it in the oven on warm for a few hours, that should speed up the hardening a bit.

oh I didn't notice the jojoba. that is mostly made up of unsapnifiables, so will contribute to a soft soap as it stays an oil (technically a wax). good call donnie.

Too many soft oils? or what?

That is quite a lot of jojoba, for sure. I don't think this is ever going to get to a really hard stage. It will need that longer cure to get enough harder so that it is practical to use it. Keep it high and dry between uses so it stays firm.

very spendy with all that jojoba and almond! I put some jojoba in some soap and didnt feel like it did anything. Has it gotten hard yet?Good luck.

No it hasn't got hard yet , not even close.

I was just following a recipe that I found....that I thought would be a good face soap. I didn't even give it a thought about it not setting up.

I didn't make much, so its not a big loss.......and eventually maybe it will get hard.

It is a little firmer than yesterday, you could could still mash your finger thru it...if that tells you how soft it is. It is still kind of translucent.

I just put it on the soap rack and I am gonna forget about it for a while.

IT was HP. in the crock pot. I am still learning...so I didn't know jojoba would make it real soft ...
I will learn next time to take a better look at the properties of the oils.

try, olive,10, coc 8, palm 8, castor for bubbles 3 oz, i really like this recipe. Dont discount too much for hp, but you can it will harden faster.

Last week I made a small batch with jojoba, I used a total of 10% jojoba. It's been a week and it's still extremely soft, so soft that you can rip the bars in half and the middles are like chewing gum.

i dont think jojoba does much for soap, IF i use it i only use like 3 oz for a 30 oz batch, but like i say i didnt notice any difference in my soap, save it for lotions and scrubs.

At least I learned a good lesson this week ! Thanks for all the advice.
Hands on is the best way to learn ! Hopefully it will someday get firm enough that I can use it. If not......I will use it anyway, since it is just for me.

Mix about 2% stearic acid in your mixture. It not only helps harden soap, it makes bubbles you won,t believe.

Back