Third soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am planning on making a soap with carrot. The recipe would be 750g OO and 250g CO, i have a tin of carrots I can use, total weight of the carrots drained is 160g.
So if the soap requires 380g of water, should I just make the lye mix with 220g of water and then' at light trace add the carrots puréed???
I have also infused some OO with paprika, to give it a more orange look, if I use 100g of this oil, should I just top up the rest of OO to 750g?
I'll be making this tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll have pictures by Friday!

The reason I am using this recipe is because my second attempt to make a bar of soap was a total disaster, so I am going to play with a recipe I was good at making, then I might start altering it a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Here is a tutorial using carrots. I would follow her suggestions for substituting carrots for liquid. You don't have to use the silk.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qakEO4QVg[/ame]

I’ve made carrot soap on the beginning my soap “career” and it went ugly brown with some even browner bits in it :( Since then I haven’t try it… Can anyone advise on how to prevent it and to get light smooth bar?

Good luck with you soap!! :)

I take the 4 oz of carrot and mix with the liquid required, mix, and place in the freezer for about 4 hours then proceed to mix in the lye slowly. I use buttermilk for the liquid. So far this has worked for me.

When I make any vegetable puree soap... I make a lot of cucumber soap... I substitute part of the liquid for the puree. Doing hot or cold process soap I do the same :)

I generally prefer to use fresh vegetables in my soap, because almost all canned/bottled veg contain preservatives to extend their shelf life .... And I'd rather not have preservatives in my soap. However, I know that a lot of people do use canned pumpkin or carrots successfully.

I've found by steaming carrots until they're soft enough to purée with the stick blender (but not over cooked till they're slushy!), and using the frozen or chilled purée to substitute the entire water content of the recipe, I can get a lovely orange color that lasts well. (I also add about 50g of raw cane sugar per kg of oils at trace, which can make the bars sweat a little during the cure, but it does seem to add to the creaminess and moisturizing of the soap.)

I decided to add the carrots at trace, not confident enough to be mixing lye with anything other than water yet.
I also used paprika infused OO and the colour is better than I expected!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380105852.288166.jpg

I doesn't smell particularly carroty but I wanted so play with colouring for now.

Cannot wait to get it out of the moulds, I used 1 tub of Pringles and those 3 food containers, I somehow got more soap out of the recipe than last batch of plain recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

The color looks very good! It may fade a little with time, but should stay pretty close to this.

The increased volume with this batch could be a result of adding the carrot purée at trace ..... Did you discount the water when you made the lye solution? If not, then you may need to leave the soap in the molds longer than usual to harden up enough to cut, and give it a good, long cure.

And here it is cut, I left it 2 days before cutting but it's still really soft, I think it will take a while to harden!
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380272024.202641.jpg
I think I need to improve my cutting technique tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Latest posts

Back