Things I never thought I'd be considering: Raw materials costs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I plan for my business launch next year, of course 'raw materials' is now a category of thinking I previously haven't paid much attention to, and it's now a regular part of my contemplation, so my attention was drawn to this headline recently:

"Record olive oil prices keep climbing after Spanish drought: Stocks dwindle to ‘unheard of’ levels in face of soaring temperatures and lack of rain"

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Reality, of course, is what it is, and we have to price in the cost of raw materials and consider whether at some point olive oil (or any other raw material) is just too pricey to include. One of the standard recipes I thought I'd be settling on is mostly OO, so I'll be watching prices carefully. Lard may start looking even better soon!

I've changed jobs & fields several times over the years, and I'm used to having to wrench my mind into new channels, but I still find it vaguely comical when I realize I've internalized some new category of thinking (as when I started learning about why certain wool is good for sweaters but maybe less good for socks, back in my knitting days).

What did you find yourself noticing for the first time when you first learned to make soap? Probably my first 'ah hah' moment with soap was when I realized I was paying a LOT more attention to cooking oil than I ever did before...

I noticed all kinds of things that could become cheap/easy molds (candy boxes, oleo tubs, yogurt containers) and unusual oils. At the time, Target started selling fancy oils like walnut and hazelnut. I never ended up trying them, though, because the advice on the forum said to pass.

I noticed all kinds of things that could become cheap/easy molds (candy boxes, oleo tubs, yogurt containers) and unusual oils. At the time, Target started selling fancy oils like walnut and hazelnut. I never ended up trying them, though, because the advice on the forum said to pass.
Yeah, I got a tub of ghee in the first month of enthusiastic buying, and I guess I better use it up in a test batch before it goes rancid! I wish I'd read more first.

As I plan for my business launch next year, of course 'raw materials' is now a category of thinking I previously haven't paid much attention to, and it's now a regular part of my contemplation, so my attention was drawn to this headline recently:

"Record olive oil prices keep climbing after Spanish drought: Stocks dwindle to ‘unheard of’ levels in face of soaring temperatures and lack of rain"

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Reality, of course, is what it is, and we have to price in the cost of raw materials and consider whether at some point olive oil (or any other raw material) is just too pricey to include. One of the standard recipes I thought I'd be settling on is mostly OO, so I'll be watching prices carefully. Lard may start looking even better soon!

I've changed jobs & fields several times over the years, and I'm used to having to wrench my mind into new channels, but I still find it vaguely comical when I realize I've internalized some new category of thinking (as when I started learning about why certain wool is good for sweaters but maybe less good for socks, back in my knitting days).

What did you find yourself noticing for the first time when you first learned to make soap? Probably my first 'ah hah' moment with soap was when I realized I was paying a LOT more attention to cooking oil than I ever did before...
Lard and tallow have almost tripled since Covid. I used to buy 50 lbs of each for around $36 now I see them pushing around $100 depending where you purchase them. It is just not really cost-effective these days. I also used to pay $35-40 for will-calling 35lb buckets of CO oil. It is now well over $100 the last time I checked the supplier that used to purchase from. OO I never used in bulk as it was not my favorite oil.

I am really sorry I missed this conversation.

Cashmere and alpaca are great for hats, scarves, sweaters and shawls, but for socks you want a hardy wool like Targhee or BFL.

With regard to your question...scent; specifically the cost of 'trial' or 1 oz bottles.

Increasing costs are something that every business owner has to consider, but you have to be careful about trying to save money too. Example...during Covid, the cost of Castor Oil skyrocketed...it went from $26.00/gallon to $57.00. Given that I only use it at 5% it would be a logical place to save money at, but at what cost? You don't need a lot of Castor Oil to make a difference, so am I saving money if I lose customers? But wait you say...Castor Oil is only 5%, what if the oil or butter is at 35% or more? Then if you can't find an equitable ingredient, then you are going to have to raise your prices.

You can also look for ways to offset your costs. Example...I use Olive, Palm, Coconut and Castor Oils, and Cocoa and Shea Butters...what other products can I make with those same ingredients? I started out making Regular Soap. Adding Goat Milk and subtracting Cocoa Butter I make Goat Milk Soap. Adding Pumice Powder I make Mechanic's Soap. Adding Salt I make a Salt Soap. Adding Beeswax to Cocoa and Shea Butter I made my first Solid Lotion Bar, and from wanting to make a less greasy Lotion Bar, I have experiments with other Oils and Butters and with the Salt for Salt Soap and Sugar from having it in the house, I have Salt and Sugar Scrubs. And taking many of those same ingredients and adding a little Flavor Oil...Lip Butter in tubes and pots. And a little chunkier salt gives me Bath Salts. Some of this costs pennies that I sell for dollars and since I'm more into trying to build a good quality brand, have a day job and no shareholders, I'm okay with a little less profit.

Of course, I've gone off the rails so to speak...I'm dabbling in Cream Lotions. Right now I'm trying out various Bases since I'm not ready to set up a new set of shelves to house sole and separate ingredients.

Right now I'm trying out various Bases since I'm not ready to set up a new set of shelves to house sole and separate ingredients.
All good advice but this one caught my attention. Lotion sales generally surpass soap sales. Lotion is an excellent addition to your craft table. The profit margin is much better than it is for soap. Until you are an advanced lotion maker, there are some wonderful bases out there that not only save on storage space for many ingredients but also spare you the cost of having your lotion/ creams challenged tested. 😉

Latest posts

Back