Thermal Transfer Method Failure!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeingBumble

Reaction score
I tried the thermal transfer method yesterday and it failed. I thought it had reached trace so I poured but when I looked this morning I found it with alot of liquid on the top half. I did re-heat it twice when I was stirring. I just dont know what I did wrong and was hoping for some input.
I used 33% lye concentration. 42oz total wt oil. 10% superfat.
water:lye ratio: 2.03:1
I used 3 tsp Cedarwood EO
Here is my recipe:

40% Olive
6.66% Almond, sweet
15% coconut
15% Babassu
6.67% Castor
10% Shea
6.67% Rice Bran oil

Thank you for any and all input!

130424_0001.jpg

Hmm... that's weird. I just tried it today and it worked like a dream. I have zero helpful input, I don't use even half of your oils in my recipe so I couldn't tell you anything about what could have gone wrong with them. My recipe was:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil 40.9%
Palm Oil 31.8%
Coconut Oil 76 degree 22.7%
Castor Oil 4.6%

In this recipe I did a water discount of 35% and superfat at 7%
I also added goats milk, buttermilk, and white clay.

Was going great until I added a crazy FO that went nuts on me lol.

In fact, my YouTube channel is in my signature below.. I just posted the video of me making that soap if you wanted to watch the first part where I'm doing the thermal transfer half. If you want a laugh, watch the whole thing where my soap goes crazy on me lol.

False trace is one of the drawbacks of the thermal transfer method.

How many regular batches of CP soap have you made before trying this method?

Like Genny, I suspect false trace which can happen when you don't melt your solid oils. If your mixture got thick but grainy then it's probably false trace. I have had that happen to me and to fix it, I slowly stir until it liquefies again (as saponification progresses, it will heat up and smooth out). Once it's uniform in texture but thin in consistency then I SB again and bring it to a true trace. Hope this helps!

You can rebatch your soap by putting the ENTIRE contents in a crockpot or double boiler (this includes the oily mess on top) and cooking it at low temperature (170-200) until it achieves a uniform consistency (will look like taffy or vaseline) and put it back into your mold.

Thank you Judy for the clear explanation of what to look for to distinguish between false trace and true trace.

Thank You all! It did look like it was at trace when I poured and I did notice some graininess toward the bottom of the pan when I was pouring. Thanks Shannon for the video-I watched it and it helped. The only thing I did different was add my oils to the lye mixture, very carefully. Im going to try again today! I got the idea from Homemade Soap from Martha's YouTube video. And to answer Genny, I have been making cold-process soap for a couple years now although I have to say that I in no way feel confident in my soap making. At first I was using PKO with CO (and found my bars were too drying) so I started using PO and CO-along with other oils, then I decided to try formulas without Palm (sustainability issues), using Coconut and Babassu as replacements. Honestly, I havent have a lot of success. But Im going to keep trying!

This is the first time I have posted. I have been shy but Im glad I finally took the chance. This is the forum I find I turn to most often. Thank you everyone for all the great and kind sharing

Glad you feel comfortable to speak up!

Coconut, Babassu, and Palm Kernel oil are pretty much interchangeable. If you are looking to avoid palm, you could try using a mix of avocado oil and cocoa butter as a substitute. I played around in soapcalc and was able to mimic the fatty acid profile of palm pretty well with these two. More expensive than palm, of course, but it's an option.

Thanks everyone! Im going to make another attempt today, and I did reheat the other batch. It doesnt look "normal" but at least I think I can use it for something and it wont go to waste. Going to try Judymoodys suggestion of avocado and cocoa butter also.

Hey, Bumble. One thing also. In my experience, Cedarwood EO almost always messes up my batches. So, be careful with that. It's just a thought.

Back