The Lye Guy Bottles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
I've read all of the posts re shaking lye bottles and rubbing with dryer sheets to reduce static - both work BTW.

I'm really nervous though with these bottles from The Lye Guy. My last order was from ED and no problems. But in these clear bottles the lye is flying around in there!

My question is will the lye stay in the bottle when opened, or can I expect it to fly around and jump out of the bottle?

Well, it all depends on your relative humidity, what you're pouring into, and such. That said, I use lye from the Lye Guy, give the bottle a good shake, and all is well. But my setup could be different than yours.

I have lye guy bottles. Wipe it all down, including the lid and bottle, and when I open it I gently wipe the rim. I do the scale and the measuring cup I pour into as well, and never had a problem with his bottle doing this. I'm almost through my first 2 lbs of theirs btw.

Thanks ladies for your help - Unfortunately, I'm now in the super-safety group. I had a light stroke and my dexterity in my right forearm and my mobility in my right foot have been affected. As a result I'm moving at turtle speed and have to plan out everything. On the plus side, soaping remains my joy and though it takes me a lot longer, I can manage if everything is organized and planned well.

I have a bottle of lye from bulk apothecary that when I open it, the lye flies in all directions, mostly not where I'm wanting to pour. It got on my kitchen table and pulled off the finish before I could get it up. What causes the lye to fly out like that? Is it static electricity? Never heard of it. I'll try the dryers sheets for sure. Thank you all

Back