The lost art of hair brushing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lye-h20-oil

Reaction score
I remember when I was a child hearing about how people would brush their hair 100 strokes every night. I'm sure I tried it, but definitely didn't stick to it. My normal routine on brushing would be, brush from the ends to get the tangles out, then brush the rest until it has no tangles. I would estimate this being about 25 wet strokes and I usually would never brush my hair when it was dry because of frizz. I would wash and condition my hair every shower, up until about 4 years ago I started washing 2x a week but would condition almost every shower. Now that I have this strange liquid soap preservative allergy I have been struggling with my hair routine. Long story short, I watched a video on how Indian and middle eastern women put oil in their hair and brush, brush, brush before washing. Then I found a video on how before bathing was in style people would not wash hair frequently but they would brush the natural oils through the hair from scalp to ends. Now the 100 strokes seems like a good idea! For the past week I have been brushing my dry hair every night for what seems to be close to 100 strokes then combing it from scalp to ends for a few more strokes. No washing hair this week because the vinegar rinse is not going so well but I do get it wet and condition the ends with coconut oil. The first 5 days I had a frizzy mess but now it seems to be softer. Anyone who has a hair brushing technique or story please share! Btw, I have below shoulder wavy thick hair, not oily and slightly dry.

My grandmother had hair longer than mine is now (below my waist) that she faithfully brushed at LEAST 100 strokes every night and every morning. I used to do the same, but not so much anymore. Now I don't count, but I brush until the brush stops filling up with loose hair (it does that a lot - I am continually surprised that I am not bald). And I don't always brush daily, either. When I braid my hair it may remain braided for two or three days before I remove the braids and brush it again. Now and then, I do oil my hair and leave the oil in for several hours. I did so just a couple of nights ago. Then brushed it through both in the shower before and after washing the oil out. In spite of the lengthy oil treatment, my hair was extremely fly-away after it was dry and I brushed it again. Probably weather related.

I don't use hair conditioner because it causes red blotches on my face. Maybe something exists that wouldn't do that, but at the age of 69, I see no benefit of searching for a product I have lived quite well without all these years. So sometimes when the weather causes too much static in my hair, I just rub oil on my hands and run my hands over my hair, thus taming the static.

A dryer sheet will help tame that static! I have very fine straight hair and in the winter I look as if it’s all about to leave my head. Lightly wave a dryer sheet over it and back into place it goes - for a time.

I used to dream about being one of those princesses who had time to brush for so long every day. Interestingly, my mom has recently gone curly. She has always had slightly wavy but mostly straight fine thin hair. Last year, she stopped trying to fight the weird things it did and tried a curl product and now she’s a curly girl. My own hair is going curly around the hairline...maybe I’m next!!

steffamarie, I don't buy dryer sheets so won't be trying that, but it's interesting. I'm fine with oil as needed and it lasts for static reduction, where you say the dryer sheets don't.

Obsidian, boar bristle brushes are what I used most of my life, but that's another thing that has fallen by the wayside.

The 100 strokes was back in the Victorian times to keep Head Lice at bay. They didn't wash like we do every day now. That much brushing creates breakage since we strip out the natural oils from the hair. Also the soft natural bristles are the best if you have to brush a lot as others have said

It is worthless to me anyway, I have a Pixie cut LOL

Hello, all. I actually don't use soap for anything, anymore. especially on my hair. I don't "Wash' my hair at all. I typically rinse it with warm water every couple of weeks, then apply simple conditioner, let is sit, and use a shampoo brush to massage the scalp and remove any build up that might be there. after rinsing with more water, I then rinse with Vinegar to condition. wrap up in a loose woven cotton wrap to wick away moisture. after about 20 minutes up, I then take it down and let it finish air drying.

never EVER use a hair brush on wet hair. a brush stretches and can break wet hair. always use a wide toothe wet comb on wet hair. for extreme curls, put a little Argan oil on your hands andstroke your hair from root to tip for a few minutes to distribute the oil. then comb the hair until dry, brushing it at the end.

Between washings, use a good dry shampoo. I make my own. Corn Starch, arrow roots powder orris root powder. optionally, you can add cocoa powder and Vanillin powder for fragrance. the hair holds more fragrance than any other part of the body. never EVER use baking soda. it is the wrong pH and will dry your hair too much and break it off at the scalp.

now, often, and especially between washings, I will use the dry shampoo powder. all it is doing is grabbing the excess oil in your hair. I put it in and put my hair in a bun on top of my head. when I wake in the morning, everything will have spread through the hair. NOW do your hundred strokes or more and do it over a towel as the powder will be brushed out of your hair (along with any dirt & excess oils). if you brush well, deeply (massaging the scalp well with the bristles) the poder will be brushed from the hair. hence, stand on a towel.

have one boar bristle brush dedicated to oiling your hair. put just a few drops of argan oil onto that bush and use it to brush the ends only. this will take care of the end frizz.

the real key to strong hair and warding off grey is to keep the circulation on the scalp doing well.take a good quality multivitamin and eat gelatin. with your meat or your desserts.

Hope this helps.

I have fond memories of my father brushing my hair when I was younger and had butt length hair. I doubt he'll remember if he used to count to 100 though lol

Now I don't brush my hair at all.

LOL

The last time my hair has seen a brush must be years now........ Once in a while, like maybe once a month I'll see a comb lying around and use it just coz I feel like it.

I now have hair past my shoulders, and it's thick and curly (maybe it's showing in my profile pic?), not oily unless I go past 3 days without washing, and never dry or frizzy, considering I live in a humid country.

I now use an activated charcoal syndet shampoo bar and no conditioner. But I apply about 3 coated fingertips of lavender infused sunflower oil when it's semi dry from halfway down, and massage my scalp with whatever is left on my fingers after.

All I've needed so far has been my fingers... Regardless of what product I use on my hair - liquid shampoo, syndet bar (currently using), lye based bar, no washing, only using conditioner - doesn't matter to my hair.

My scalp though.... Is another story entirely. Need to change my shampoo bar because of this.

Last edited:
Genetics has an awful lot to do with hair going grey, at least in my family it does. My first white hair was at age 21. My dad's hair was salt & peppered already when he was 40, and completely white by the time he was 50 (possibly sooner). I barely recall his mother without white hair.

edit: word correction (when my dad was 40, not when I was 40)

Last edited:
My grandmother had hair longer than mine is now (below my waist) that she faithfully brushed at LEAST 100 strokes every night and every morning. I used to do the same, but not so much anymore. Now I don't count, but I brush until the brush stops filling up with loose hair (it does that a lot - I am continually surprised that I am not bald). And I don't always brush daily, either. When I braid my hair it may remain braided for two or three days before I remove the braids and brush it again. Now and then, I do oil my hair and leave the oil in for several hours. I did so just a couple of nights ago. Then brushed it through both in the shower before and after washing the oil out. In spite of the lengthy oil treatment, my hair was extremely fly-away after it was dry and I brushed it again. Probably weather related.

I don't use hair conditioner because it causes red blotches on my face. Maybe something exists that wouldn't do that, but at the age of 69to see no benefit of searching for a product I have lived quite well without all these years. So sometimes when the weather causes too much static in my hair, I just rub oil on my hands and run my hands over my hair, thus taming the static.
I have wonered how I have so much hair after seeing all of the hair that has ended up in my brush too.

Genetics has an awful lot to do with hair going grey, at least in my family it does.

I used to be happy with my genetics regarding my coloring until the past few years for this reason. My coloring mostly takes after my mom’s side of the family. My first few aged hairs are now the pure white of my maternal grandmother, I was hoping to get the steel grey of my paternal grand mother. There is a slim chance that they’re stress greys but I’m about the age my mom was when her hair started to turn

A dryer sheet will help tame that static! I have very fine straight hair and in the winter I look as if it’s all about to leave my head. Lightly wave a dryer sheet over it and back into place it goes - for a time.

I used to dream about being one of those princesses who had time to brush for so long every day. Interestingly, my mom has recently gone curly. She has always had slightly wavy but mostly straight fine thin hair. Last year, she stopped trying to fight the weird things it did and tried a curl product and now she’s a curly girl. My own hair is going curly around the hairline...maybe I’m next!!
I have successfully used dryer sheets to dust fabric that shouldn't get wet like lamp shades and inside of jewelry boxes. I think I tried it in a hurry on my hair before.

If you want to get the proper benefit of brushing oil through your hair, use a boar bristle brush. There are a ton of tutorials on how to properly brush with one on youtube
I have a boar brush and wood combs on my amazon wish list this year.

The 100 strokes was back in the Victorian times to keep Head Lice at bay. They didn't wash like we do every day now. That much brushing creates breakage since we strip out the natural oils from the hair. Also the soft natural bristles are the best if you have to brush a lot as others have said

It is worthless to me anyway, I have a Pixie cut LOL
I hope I get all of my natural brushes and combs that I put on my christmas wish list this year. I'm sure that brushing bugs and dirt out would be a good reason for the victorians.

Hello, all. I actually don't use soap for anything, anymore. especially on my hair. I don't "Wash' my hair at all. I typically rinse it with warm water every couple of weeks, then apply simple conditioner, let is sit, and use a shampoo brush to massage the scalp and remove any build up that might be there. after rinsing with more water, I then rinse with Vinegar to condition. wrap up in a loose woven cotton wrap to wick away moisture. after about 20 minutes up, I then take it down and let it finish air drying.

never EVER use a hair brush on wet hair. a brush stretches and can break wet hair. always use a wide toothe wet comb on wet hair. for extreme curls, put a little Argan oil on your hands andstroke your hair from root to tip for a few minutes to distribute the oil. then comb the hair until dry, brushing it at the end.

Between washings, use a good dry shampoo. I make my own. Corn Starch, arrow roots powder orris root powder. optionally, you can add cocoa powder and Vanillin powder for fragrance. the hair holds more fragrance than any other part of the body. never EVER use baking soda. it is the wrong pH and will dry your hair too much and break it off at the scalp.

now, often, and especially between washings, I will use the dry shampoo powder. all it is doing is grabbing the excess oil in your hair. I put it in and put my hair in a bun on top of my head. when I wake in the morning, everything will have spread through the hair. NOW do your hundred strokes or more and do it over a towel as the powder will be brushed out of your hair (along with any dirt & excess oils). if you brush well, deeply (massaging the scalp well with the bristles) the poder will be brushed from the hair. hence, stand on a towel.

have one boar bristle brush dedicated to oiling your hair. put just a few drops of argan oil onto that bush and use it to brush the ends only. this will take care of the end frizz.

the real key to strong hair and warding off grey is to keep the circulation on the scalp doing well.take a good quality multivitamin and eat gelatin. with your meat or your desserts.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
I have been trying to find an affordable kosher organic gelatin. I found a decent size container on amazon for $20. I don't usually insist on kosher organic but when dealing with animal bone, cartilage and skin I think it would be wise to get the best of the best.

I have fond memories of my father brushing my hair when I was younger and had butt length hair. I doubt he'll remember if he used to count to 100 though lol

Now I don't brush my hair at all.

LOL

The last time my hair has seen a brush must be years now........ Once in a while, like maybe once a month I'll see a comb lying around and use it just coz I feel like it.

I now have hair past my shoulders, and it's thick and curly (maybe it's showing in my profile pic?), not oily unless I go past 3 days without washing, and never dry or frizzy, considering I live in a humid country.

I now use an activated charcoal syndet shampoo bar and no conditioner. But I apply about 3 coated fingertips of lavender infused sunflower oil when it's semi dry from halfway down, and massage my scalp with whatever is left on my fingers after.

All I've needed so far has been my fingers... Regardless of what product I use on my hair - liquid shampoo, syndet bar (currently using), lye based bar, no washing, only using conditioner - doesn't matter to my hair.

My scalp though.... Is another story entirely. Need to change my shampoo bar because of this.
I would probably do exactly what you are doing if I had long curly hair.

I used to be happy with my genetics regarding my coloring until the past few years for this reason. My coloring mostly takes after my mom’s side of the family. My first few aged hairs are now the pure white of my maternal grandmother, I was hoping to get the steel grey of my paternal grand mother. There is a slim chance that they’re stress greys but I’m about the age my mom was when her hair started to turn
I have a few grey hais popping out. I only hope that when it's time to go grey I get a cool streak :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried a boar brush but my hair is just too thick plus the bristles make my scalp itch for some reason. I use either a wet brush or a tangle teaser now. I also have a wide tooth horn comb but since my hair is short atm, I don't use it often.

I started going grey in my late 20's, now in my mid 40's I have about 30% grey or in my case, white. I color my hair with henna though so I'm not positive on the amount of glitter growing. I do have pure white streaks right above both ears, it looks pretty cool.
I wish I would go white faster, then I could stop coloring my hair. Love the white, hate my natural color.

If anyone is interested in learning all about hair care, there is a forum I go to that is all about hair care and growing long (all are welcome though, even shorties) Those ladies are very passionate and I've learned a ton, lots of it sciency stuff.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forum.php

I've tried a boar brush but my hair is just too thick plus the bristles make my scalp itch for some reason. I use either a wet brush or a tangle teaser now. I also have a wide tooth horn comb but since my hair is short atm, I don't use it often.

I started going grey in my late 20's, now in my mid 40's I have about 30% grey or in my case, white. I color my hair with henna though so I'm not positive on the amount of glitter growing. I do have pure white streaks right above both ears, it looks pretty cool.
I wish I would go white faster, then I could stop coloring my hair. Love the white, hate my natural color.

If anyone is interested in learning all about hair care, there is a forum I go to that is all about hair care and growing long (all are welcome though, even shorties) Those ladies are very passionate and I've learned a ton, lots of it sciency stuff.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forum.php
I took a peek at the link you posted. I had no idea that a forum existed about long hair. I do have long hair but I'm not fascinated by it or others hair. It's hair healthy or not. I do need help with this mess on my head soooo I will ask questions when they let me in. Thank you for leading me to the hair guru's....I reluctantly go in search for an answer....before I go bald lol. Thank you.

At one very difficult time in my life, I had an unusual amount of hair loss from stress. Thankfully it was only temporary, but it was one more stress to worry about when I already had a heaping plate full.

I also know after menopause, hair can become sparse as the years go on. Thankfully I haven't seen that (so far) for myself, but I've noticed my mother's hair has gotten thinner.

On the other hand, it's normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs a day. If you keep your hair braided or otherwise confined a lot of the time, then it's likely you'll see a lot of those hairs in your brush or comb, because your hair can't shed it as freely.

At one very difficult time in my life, I had an unusual amount of hair loss from stress. Thankfully it was only temporary, but it was one more stress to worry about when I already had a heaping plate full.

I also know after menopause, hair can become sparse as the years go on. Thankfully I haven't seen that (so far) for myself, but I've noticed my mother's hair has gotten thinner.

On the other hand, it's normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs a day. If you keep your hair braided or otherwise confined a lot of the time, then it's likely you'll see a lot of those hairs in your brush or comb, because your hair can't shed it as freely.
Getting older is like having a second puberty again. All these changes that we go through. I'm glad that the problem was only temporary for you.
Now I am off to the dishsoap thread to ask a question about lard :)

Back