the joy of a first time separation!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKristen

Reaction score
So I made some pumpkin pie soap last night soaping at room temp, my recipe was

12 oz olive
5.10 coconut
4.50 palm
3.00 shea
3.00 lard
2.4 castor
4.043 lye
9.90 liquid (I used 5 oz h20 and 4.9 of slurried goats milk at trace)
6% sf
I also added 2oz pumpkin and 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice along with 1.5 oz pumpkin fo
I did use CPOP and either that with the goats milk is the culprit or the oils weren't hot enough.
Any ideas?

I would love if someone could take a look at my recipe, I just made another batch of soap using the same oils and water/lye ratio without the goats milk and pumpkin and I emulsified it and it thickened up THAT QUICK! I don't know what is going on, I have made multiple batches with success and the last 3 batches have just been a disaster! I want to cry using up that much product

Did you account for the pumpkin in your liquid amount? I think you should have used 2 oz less water to accommodate for the 2 oz of pumpkin. How long did it take to trace and did you stick blend? If you get a false trace, you can get separation. RTCP can be a bit tricky with some hard oils, causing you to get a false trace when they start to resolidfy. I actually had this happen recently myself using Coconut Milk. :oops:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32654

Did you try to rebatch?

ETA: Your recipe amounts look good when ran through a lye calculator

The temperature may be one factor. You have a lot of hard/harder oils in the batch. Lard is notorious for giving what looks like false trace. Your lard amount isn't terribly high, but given the shea, palm, etc. I think maybe it needed more heat to start. Also, if the pumpkin and goats milk were room temp or cooler, that could also contribute to things not blending very well. If I add the milk at trace, I like it to be warm to try to prevent any "shock" when adding it to my mix.

The FO could also be another factor. How bad did it separate?

For the other recipe without the pumpkin and milk, I agree you may need more heat. Try at least 95 degrees to mix the lye and oils. If you're soaping room temperature, it wouldn't take much to cause the harder oils to precipitate out of the mixture. Try rebatching both batches and see if the soap turns out fine.

The pumpkin/spicy fragrances always move really quickly on me and seem to get hotter faster. I would guess it probably has something to do with that.

Thanks for the help, I did rebatch which left me with lumpy, ugly but good smelling and useable soap. I didn't take into account the pumpkin as liquid, that could be the cause.

I think I am done with CPOP, I had another batch of soap cupcakes completely deflate on me, maybe the oven gets too hot. It's not worth the shortcut to have so many ruined batches.

Glad you were able to rebatch! I actually like to rebatch once in a while...I may be in the minority with that, though I have to say...most that I rebatch weren't intended as such, but who needs to know :wink: As long as the end product is fabulous, even if it's a tad lumpy, what difference does it make?
You just gotta work out which method or methods work best for you. While I am new to the forum, I am NOT new to soapmaking. I tend to be impatient, but I still prefer CP over HP/CPOP. I tend to get more consistent and predictable outcomes, the soap gels perfectly fine in my 3lb silicone molds, and I can generally unmold and cut within 24 hours...so not too much waiting for my "present" :p
Good luck with your next soapy adventure!

Alchemy&Ashes said:
my 3lb silicone molds, and I can generally unmold and cut within 24 hours.

Hi Alchemy:

I am absolutely in love with silicone molds. I have a three pound log but want more; perhaps square, maybe round, a slab (for swirling). Where do you suggest I get some? TIA.

L

Lyric said:
Alchemy&Ashes said:
my 3lb silicone molds, and I can generally unmold and cut within 24 hours.

Hi Alchemy:

I am absolutely in love with silicone molds. I have a three pound log but want more; perhaps square, maybe round, a slab (for swirling). Where do you suggest I get some? TIA.

L

Well, I usually have to order them online (like WSP), since there are no soap supply places near me (as you well know in Polk County! :wink:) However, I did find these molds at Michael's (I think they're HDPE?) that are probably sold there for M&P. but are super because you can take them apart and the CP heat and lye does not harm them. Once in a while I have a problem with sticking, but the freezer usually helps. I do line with freezer paper when I have the ambition ;) They are usually almost $30, but I wait until I have a 50% off coupon, so I pay $15. They hold up well too!
http://www.michaels.com/artminds-heavy- ... dleandsoap

I also LOVE the silicone molds...you can try any of the bakeware made of silicone in the kitchen section of most stores. My favorite right now is what I use for sample soaps:
http://www.joann.com/wilton-silicone-mo ... 08633745a/
Once again, coupons are my friends...so I usually pay about $5 for that one at Joann's (it's by Wilson in the bakeware section)

Hope that helps! :)

Latest posts

Back