The first step is admitting you have a problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
Okay .. my problem is that I'm running out of room. I don't have a problem with soap .. I really don't (If my husband would just quit complaining everything would be fine :D ). And Paul, you're to blame for all of this .. now I can make 9 pounds of soap a day. Any ideas .. where do you all store your curing soap??

CraftShowSoaps.jpg

We've got moderately high ceilings and a ledge that runs around the length of our house about 4 feet below the apex of the ceiling (at the height of a regular ceiling). This spot would just be wasted space, so I recently started putting my soap on cardboard or cookie sheets and tucking it away up there! I would guess it's about 150 square feet of soap curing space.

Since it's not visible tucked away up there, no one needs to know how bad my addiction really is. :)

I can do the wire racks (my husband will love that he's an organization freak) and the ceilings. Thanx a ton for the suggestions!! :D

I guess when the times get hard and not a person can get their hands on a bar of soap, they will come looking for all of us. LOL my husband lost his flytying/bird hunting room. I took a whole room! :oops:

Becky said:
I bought a heap of plastic covered stackable wire baskets from the local dollar shop.

I am loving your wire racks!

A little more than a month ago the guy that owns the local bakery promised me the old bakery racks when they upgraded. They still haven't upgraded (and I've gained at least 5 lbs going back in to check and having to get a donut), so I'm still shuffling soaps. I'm giving them 2 weeks and 5 lbs, then I'm getting the ones you have!

Beautiful soaps by the way. What I did with mine was wraped them all up and put them in a big, pretty basket and put them on the top of my toilet. The rest of the family can't just go and take them and I get to look at them. I love it! :)

cassy said:
I took a whole room! :oops:
But I would have to give up my sewing room. No way. I have already taken over the dining room and eat-in part of the kitchen. Then there is the corner of the back room and we rarely have guests enough to have a guest room.................... :roll: I need a whole new house. Sigh.....

Digit

beachgurl said:
Okay .. my problem is that I'm running out of room. I don't have a problem with soap .. I really don't (If my husband would just quit complaining everything would be fine :D ). And Paul, you're to blame for all of this .. now I can make 9 pounds of soap a day. Any ideas .. where do you all store your curing soap??

What problem? I have no addiction problem. OK, so I could supply soap to 1/2 the world's population. That's a good thing right? Better than supplying the world with drugs or booze, huh? :lol:

I use racks. I found really pretty 3-shelf rack units on clearance at Hobby Lobby. When I filled those, I bought one of those huge 5 rack-units you can get at Target. Maybe one wasn't enough, though...

It WAS kinda scarey when, in full production mode getting ready for craft fair season, I filled ALL my racks!! I've ended up short of soap for the last of the craft fairs, so next year, I'll need to make more. Yup, I need another 5-shelf unit!!

See how easily I talked myself into a new rack unit? Now, you try it.
:twisted:

That's what I'm getting nervous about .. running out. Today I had an order for 8 bars of one kind! I'm not really worried about the craft show because I seem to be getting really great word of mouth business. One of my friends took her soap into the daycare that she works at and now I have even more orders coming and on top of that the craft show. I'm really shocked to be quite honest ... I didn't think there would be a market for handmade soap, I was plannining on having to make one. I am kind of in disbelief.

I take the blame. :lol: Happy my kids are working so well for you! 8) I have a dedicated soap room all to myself! Good thing too! I bought the wire racks at Lowes and stack my soaps on end on those metal shelves with a fan on all the time.

Its really best NOT to have a lot of fragranced products curing in your living space. And near the ceiling, in some environments, is asking for trouble since heat rises.

I use my laundry room (it's actually fairly arid there) and that works. Avoid attics and basements as those tend toward too hot or too humid or both.

beachgurl said:
That's what I'm getting nervous about .. running out. Today I had an order for 8 bars of one kind! I'm not really worried about the craft show because I seem to be getting really great word of mouth business. One of my friends took her soap into the daycare that she works at and now I have even more orders coming and on top of that the craft show. I'm really shocked to be quite honest ... I didn't think there would be a market for handmade soap, I was plannining on having to make one. I am kind of in disbelief.

If you run out, & your customers know how good your soap is, they'll happily wait for your next batch!! :D

I'm going to my next 2 craft fairs with a low supply of soap. That's ok, this is my first year & I had no idea how well I'd do. I'll pass out lots of business cards & take orders.

I ordered business cards today from Vista Print because everyone said I'd hand out a lot .. I was going to print them out on my printer, but for the price they charge I don't think I could have done it cheaper. I'm excited that it actually seems to be going well (so far and I say that with my fingers crossed). We shall see.

Can't put soaps in the garage .. that's where my laundry is .. not climate controlled and it's still fairly warm here and def. humid in the mornings. Not to mention it stinks in there right now .. my husband the perpetual genius, decided to put gas into the weed wacker inside the garage instead of taking 10 steps to do it outside. I want to choke him. I get dizzy every time I walk out for a load of laundry. That one's out of the question. I might have to overtake the spare bedroom and get shelves like y'all have suggested.

beachgurl said:
I might have to overtake the spare bedroom and get shelves like y'all have suggested.

:twisted: I've taken over the spare bedroom &, temporarily, my step son's room. I think I need to re-organise, but I'm too busy making soap!! :lol:

I keep my soap and supplies in our guest room. I'm in a 2-bedroom apartment so that is the only space available. The closet is full of soap supplies and curing soap, and it is starting to creep out into the room. I need more curing racks too. The problem is the guest room also houses some of our normal household 'junk', plus when we have guests over it needs to be available for use, so I am always rearranging stuff in there.

Becky,

I like those baskets that you have. I might look for something like that. I really like how each 'type' of soap has its own place.

Chris

Back