Tea tree and high olive oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexymess

Reaction score
First I didn't go into this recipe realizing I would be using so much oilve oil.
So I created a wonderful recipe for a tea tree soap. This is my first soap that has been forced into a gel stage. The soap is a green almost transparent soap….. or so I thought. 24 hours after making it I go to cut it into smaller bars, perfect for feet and samples ;-). This stuff is still soft! Wth? Ok I’ll leave it for another day. So 12 hours later I try again. Nope still soft. I put it in the fridge. It seems that this stuff will never come out!! Finally I get it out. It is beautiful. It smells clean and fresh. I cut it. Soft. It is now Curing and will be curing for two months or until it hardens. I know where I went wrong. I superfatted at 7 and used a recipe with a lot of olive oil. I wanted a little more olive oil for the mosturizing benefits, since this is a foot soap.the reason I used 7 is because my lye is strong or my scale is wonky. I ordered a new scale. Should be here in 3 days. I read some where some soaps never get hard and some olive oil soaps have to cure up to eight months?? It really is a nice soap

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0459.PNG

Those turned out nice! Pretty color. Just an FYI soap is not moisturizing. Just strips less oils from the skin. Also, you will want to watch your soap for DOS with that much canola and the Sesame Oil. They aren't known for long shelf life and can cause issues over time.

Just FYI - I leave most of my soaps in the mold 2-3 days, then leave the loaf in open air for 24 hours THEN I slice into bars. Then they begin to harden up nicely. And my recipes aren't even high in olive oil! So don't let impatience get the better of you, soap can stay soft for a while.

Anyhoo, they look quite lovely!

Ok thank you. How much canola should I be using? I usually use the same amount as olive oil. Only because I did that in my second batch and it turned out so great!
I am definitely going to need more soap moulds

Ok thank you. How much canola should I be using? I usually use the same amount as olive oil. Only because I did that in my second batch and it turned out so great!
I am definitely going to need more soap moulds

I try to keep my "lino" type oils below a total of 12 for DOS prevention. As always you mileage may vary.
As long as it works for you and you don't get DOS, soap on!

Latest posts

Back