Tallow question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sistrum

Reaction score
Does anyone here use commercially rendered tallow? Do you know how it compares to home rendered kidney fat? I'm just spending to much time processing my own and thinking of just buying it, but the quality question is bugging me. I just can't imagine that bone fat, skin fat, gut fat and all the other stuff that goes into commercial tallow can make the same quality of soap. If anyone has used both I would like to here what your experiences have been.

I have used the tallow from SC and it seems to be pretty high quality to me. I've not used any non-commerical tallow (or lard) though so I can't compare it.

I use GV shortening from Walmart. It is mostly tallow. I'm very pleased with the quality soap it makes. Also, it is listed on Soapcalc.

I am bumping this thread... I got some beef fat (not the best stuff from the kidneys, just regular fat trimmings) from the butcher, I rendered it myself and ended up with beautiful snow white rock hard tallow that made the best soap I have made so far! I LOVE it. But... even tho it wasn't that hard to render it, it is time consuming and I decided to try buying some. What I got is much softer and more liquid (not like olive oil but kind of similar to palm oil) in a cream color, not white. I haven't used it yet, I would like to make exactly the same recipe I used with the home-rendered stuff and compare them side by side. Has anyone else used both?

New12soap, it looks like its up to us to do the testing. If I can find a place to buy a small amount of commercial tallow I'll give it a go, but after what you said about the tallow you found I really don't think the soap will be as good. Thank you for the bump. Sissy

Latest posts

Back