Superfatting question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMom

Reaction score
What would be the max amount of shea butter you could use to superfat a 2 lb. batch of soap? Anyone know?

Maybe it depends on the end result you want from your soap? I use 10% Shea Butter in most of my soaps with a 6 - 8% lye discount and I love how it feels. The unsaponifiables in shea make it so moisturising to use. Soapmakerman does a Coconut/Shea 80/20% soap with a 20% lye discount which he loves, and I actually plan on making a reverse of that (80% shea) with a 6% lye discount to see what I get!

Tanya :)

I don't use shea but I would agree with the 5-10% consensus here. Any more would be a waste....JMHO

i am new to soap making, but i just took a class on it, and the teacher said that you can add 1 oz extra fat for each pound of materials.

Thanks guys for all of your input! I need all the help I can get these days. Last couple of batches did not meet my standards!

I haven't yet mastered the art of superfatting, does it matter what oils one uses for superfatting a soap? I am a bit reluctant to go over 5% as I have previously experience rancidity in my soaps when trying to superfatt with anything in excess of 5%. Is it the type of oils one uses that influences the outcome :?:

Thank you for the advice. I've had problems with rancidity mostly when using sunflower and avocado oils, has anyone else had any rancidity problems with this oils? I read a post about using oils that have lots of unsaponifiables, but which are those oils? where do I find this information... Please help

Latest posts

Back