Superfatting liquid soap, with non Castor --REALLY dumb idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdc

Reaction score
Sooo....

Lets just say I wanted to make a liquid soap, and superfat it at a high percent with an oil, that was not castor oil. When it would settle, the oil would float up at the top as a creamy white layer.

Is there something, an emulsifier or something, that you could put in the soap to make the oil stay in suspension?

Even if you were willing to sort of kill the lather. I know this sounds stupid. I am just trying to figure something out. :)

Humor me with your genius?

Use a 5 gallon water jug as a cone-bottom tank and drain off the clear soap, use the rest for your laundry.

You can try to emulsify with borax but IMO, it won't work well.

No, I WANT a super-fatted liquid soap that does not separate. Even if it is not very bubbly.

Emulsify with Borax? I know many recipes add borax in the end to fix PH, but how do you emulsify with it?

Thanks!

Catherine Failor's book says borax will emulsify the layers but in my experience it won't hold much superfat in emulsion.

For a chemical emulsifier, I'd start with Dawn dish detergent. I know it will emulsify oil and water but I'm not sure how much you'll need.

Use a 5 gallon water jug as a cone-bottom tank and drain off the clear soap, use the rest for your laundry.

You can try to emulsify with borax but IMO, it won't work well.

I'm curious.. why did you suggest using the other soap for laundry? Is there a special reason to do so? I want laundry soap in liquid or in powder.

Latest posts

Back