Summer Skies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After my epic fail with my mermaid soap yesterday, I had to make myself feel better by posting a new soap I made that I actually like. Marble mantra swirl scented with Cobalt Beach Glass from WSP.

DSC_0108.jpg

o my g that is gorgeous. Is that ultramarine blue?

It's Mold Market Bright Blue Colorant. I can't remember where I purchased it from, but it came in a set of 6 colors. It's on the Mold Market website, but I know I didn't get it there.
The bottle states "Professional soap colors in a vegetable glycerin base." No mixing! Added right to batter. I've had it for months, but this is the first time I've used it. I'm very happy with the results.

They are beautiful. Is it MP? I see Mold Market sells MP bases, and couldn't find anything about their colorants being used in CP. But on this link, the Bright Blue has the list of ingredients in it and UM Blue is one of the components of the formula.

I don't know what most of that other stuff is, except for the Glycerine and the Shellac. It looks like those other things are for enhancing the color, but I still don't know why Shellac is included in a colorant. Seems odd to me, but I have never studied up on how colorants are made.

So basically, it seems as though ibct1969 was right in recognizing the UM Blue. Impressive! I've used UM Blue in CP soap and had it morph to purple, which I actually like, but did not expect. Maybe the other additives in the colorant prevents the morphing?

They are beautiful. Is it MP? I see Mold Market sells MP bases, and couldn't find anything about their colorants being used in CP. But on this link, the Bright Blue has the list of ingredients in it and UM Blue is one of the components of the formula.

I don't know what most of that other stuff is, except for the Glycerine and the Shellac. It looks like those other things are for enhancing the color, but I still don't know why Shellac is included in a colorant. Seems odd to me, but I have never studied up on how colorants are made.

So basically, it seems as though ibct1969 was right in recognizing the UM Blue. Impressive! I've used UM Blue in CP soap and had it morph to purple, which I actually like, but did not expect. Maybe the other additives in the colorant prevents the morphing?

Thank you, earlene! It is a cold process soap, and I just found my invoice.....I got these colors from New Directions Aromatics. I'm not sure about the other ingredients, either. I just know that I'm happy with how they look, and I may have to do a little research to make sure I'm okay with the other ingredients. On the NDA website it does say "water soluble, safe, and non-toxic" for both CP and M&P.

Latest posts

Back