Suet same as rendered tallow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love4soaping

Reaction score
First post here, I have made several batches of soap over the last several months. I have been interested in making a batch of soap that incorporates beef fat. I was at a nearby buther soap and figured I would ask to see if they had beef fat for sale. Turns out they did so I picked up 1lb for under $2. Now that I have been doing some more research about using beef fat I was curious, the tag on the beef fat that I bought says 'suet'. If that just another name then for tallow? Also, do I need to do anything special with the 'suet' before I use it in my soap?

Thank you for any input.

Suet, beef fat, needs to be 'rendered'.
Boil it with some water and salt until it is melted. Take the oil off the top, strain it (through a coffee filter), throw away any bits of meat and the water. The finished strained oil is tallow.

Some people render suet by placing it in a pan in the oven and letting it melt there instead, strain.

The same can be done with pig fat, rendered into lard.

Suet is usually ground fat so you will need to render it into tallow for soap use. You can find instructions on rendering online.

Thank you all! Thank you for the link cm4bleenmb. I will render my suet tonight and hopefully make my first batch of soap with it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back