Storing soap after cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone ,

So I have about 750 soaps made with essential oil . They are done curing . I would like to store them in a container to try and keep the scent to last as long as possible before they’re sold .

I’m wondering what methods everyone uses to store there soaps before boxing and selling.

Thanks

Wowza, so clearly I'm a much smaller-scale soaper here! So for what it's worth, I store cured soaps unwrapped in a shoe box that I've punched holes in. I throw in some cotton balls scented with the essential oils I used for scent.
Where do you get the shoe boxes?

For uncured bars, something airy, with a bit of space between each bar. A lot of options. I used bread trays. But they get heavy.
For cured/finished bars, something not to large, with good bottom support. (did I mention heavy)
I have been using these for finished bars. They fit 3 dozen 5 oz. bars.
shoebox1.jpg
BCW trading card/slab storage box, 3000 count, super shoe box. (Are these what you are talking about Mr. @Zing?) Got mine from www.wizradcoinsupply.com, model "1-bx-sshoe". These are available from multiple sources. Like I said, there are many options and directions to go. Just keep it simple. Did I mention this stuff gets heavy. Good luck.

For uncured bars, something airy, with a bit of space between each bar. A lot of options. I used bread trays. But they get heavy.
For cured/finished bars, something not to large, with good bottom support. (did I mention heavy)
View attachment 74921
BCW trading card/slab storage box, 3000 count, super shoe box. (Are these what you are talking about Mr. @Zing?) Got mine from www.wizradcoinsupply.com, model "1-bx-sshoe". These are available from multiple sources. Like I said, there are many options and directions to go. Just keep it simple. Did I mention this stuff gets heavy. Good luck.
You're looking way more poe-fessional than me! I got a coupla dozen shoe boxes off of the local BuyNothing/Freecycle app.
EDIT: Just saw @MelissaG 's question.

Last edited:
Just to check, do ya'll store cured bars shrink wrapped or as-is? And what is a good temperature to store them?

I'm in a hot & humid climate so I've been curing and storing my soaps in my work office. It's air-conditioned (25C/77F) 5 days a week and on weekends it's still cooler than outside air, maybe about 29C/84F.

View attachment 74921
These are good .

I can believe how heavy everything is . Even pouring my soap is heavy lol .

I know some folks who purchase Dollar $tore bins and stack them with pieces of cardboard in between. The bins allow for airflow. Some are the right size to hold one 3lb batch, but larger ones are available, too.

For those wanting a free option, shoe boxes are often available in great quantities in the cardboard bin behind your local shoe store. It's good to ask the store what day they get deliveries, and if they would mind your assistance with their recycling program. ;)
Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 10.41.51 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-23 at 10.42.47 AM.png

I never had to store soap very long before shipping to wholesale customers. So they went right from the curing racks into the shipping box, wrapped in tissue paper like you find in the bakery section of the grocery store.

The leftovers are stored in dresser drawers in the guest bedroom, nekkid. I'm currently wrapping them in glassine bags and labeling the few I have left. Then I put them in re-purposed small cardboard boxes my vitamins are shipped in.

This is what 2,187 bars of soap curing in the open air looks like.

I never had to store soap very long before shipping to wholesale customers. So they went right from the curing racks into the shipping box, wrapped in tissue paper like you find in the bakery section of the grocery store.

The leftovers are stored in dresser drawers in the guest bedroom, nekkid. I'm currently wrapping them in glassine bags and labeling the few I have left. Then I put them in re-purposed small cardboard boxes my vitamins are shipped in.

Wow. I'd love to get to that point sometime.

I know some folks who purchase Dollar $tore bins and stack them with pieces of cardboard in between. The bins allow for airflow. Some are the right size to hold one 3lb batch, but larger ones are available, too.

For those wanting a free option, shoe boxes are often available in great quantities in the cardboard bin behind your local shoe store. It's good to ask the store what day they get deliveries, and if they would mind your assistance with their recycling program. ;)
View attachment 74926View attachment 74925
I use these for curing with a bit of cheesecloth draped over them to keep the cat hair (and being real, my hair. Lose a lot and it gets everywhere) out.

Just bought more today. I wish I could find the ones on the bottom, but the top is what I have in hmmm... navy, Grey, white, and pink. After they stop losing weight, they go in a shoebox with holes on a heavyweight cube shelf, but in the next few months I wanna switch fully to the baskets (or nicer boxes). I plan on getting one of those heavy duty plastic garage shelves by Christmas if my SO doesn't build me a real curing shelf by then.

Love seeing what everyone does!

The soap I have is my first run . So im just trying to figure out everything . 2000 bar looks amazing .

I use these for curing with a bit of cheesecloth draped over them to keep the cat hair (and being real, my hair. Lose a lot and it gets everywhere) out.

Just bought more today. I wish I could find the ones on the bottom, but the top is what I have in hmmm... navy, Grey, white, and pink. After they stop losing weight, they go in a shoebox with holes on a heavyweight cube shelf, but in the next few months I wanna switch fully to the baskets (or nicer boxes). I plan on getting one of those heavy duty plastic garage shelves by Christmas if my SO doesn't build me a real curing shelf by then.

Love seeing what everyone does!
Is it important to keep your soaps in air ?

It is definitely important, and probably not something I'd do if it wasn't for the hair.

Probably hard to tell from the photo, but the baskets and cheesecloth have roughly 1/2 inch openings, so there's still a good amount of air getting through, and I usually have a fan or two running. They get rotated once or twice a week.

Having said that, some recipes definitely take longer to stop losing weight, especially if i used more water than usual. If you live somewhere really humid all the time, it might not work out, but my house is super dry half the year. Knock on wood, the only soap I have that developed DOS was a Zany's No Slime Castille I put somewhere and forgot about for 8 months.

Latest posts

Back