Sticky drag feel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Anyone know what causes CP soap to have that sticky, drag feel in the shower? This is a different type of sticky drag then I've mentioned before. Before, my soap would sometimes drag on the first use, and after that it was fine. Now, one of my batches in particular is doing this every time! I have been using the same bar for days now and when I'm in the shower it makes my skin feel sticky and tight. Maybe this is that "squeaky clean" feel I've seen people mention? That's kind of how it feels.

When I dry off my skin is not sticky at all, but it still feels kind of tight. This is weird, because I've used this same recipe many other times and this never happened. I do use castor oil in my recipe which I've heard can cause this, but I only use it at 3% - that's not very much.

Any ideas/suggestions??? Thanks!

Have you used oatmeal in the soap? Sometimes I have had this sticky feel from using certain brands of oatmeal, dont know what else it could be sorry.

I was reading up on this and I think castorfan mention this before, but stearic acid can cause a sticky feeling. You probably aren't using that, but I made a bar with stearic and shea butter and got that sticky feeling in the shower. I felt squeaky clean and my skin was tight. It had lots of olive and 25% CO so I didn't think it would be drying. Sometimes shea without stearic also feels sticky to me. Are you using that in your recipe? I think it has something to do with waxiness like how stearic acid is a wax. Not sure!

No shea, stearic acid, or oatmeal in the soap! :(

I used 30% coconut oil and 30% palm oil, but I superfatted at 8% and have never found this recipe to be drying. My skin doesn't really feel tight in a dry way - more like a waxy sticky way. It's really hard to explain!

:(

It could be the palm oil. Stearic acid can be partially made from palmitic acid which is from palm oil or palm kernal oil. I'm just guessing. I have a recipe that's 50% palm and it's always sticky at first. I did a 5% superfat though. Isn't palm one of the oils that can leave a film?

I wonder if it is that " film " Milla was talking about . Like bathtub ring but on your skin ( if that makes any sense ). Is the soap well cured or pretty new , I find that makes a difference in how my skin feels after a bath .

Kitn

Latest posts

Back