stearic acid and clays

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKristen

Reaction score
So I did a trip to my sorta local soap supply store yesterday and picked up some stuff that I really don't know what I would do with.

The first is stearic acid, I was actually looking for sodium lactate (I think) and ended up with this, what is its use in cp soap?

I also picked up some clay powders, some kalolin clay and French green, do I mix with water and add at trace, what's a good amount and what are the benefits?

Thanks!

I use stearic acid in my soaps sometimes to make a harder longer lasting bar. Use 1/8 to 1/4 ounce PPO. Melt it separately and add it after medium trace, it will thicken FAST. Forget intricate swirls if you are using stearic acid!

I use clay at 1 tsp PPO, and I stick blend it into my warm oils before I add the lye water. I know you can also mix it in at trace but I don't know if you mix it with water or oil first.

You can use stearic acid at the rate of .25 to .5 ounce per pound of base oils to harden your soap. It can also used in lotions at a rate of about 3 to 5%.

Clays can be added to soap at thin trace, I usually add 1 Tbsp. per pound of soap. Pour a little of your thinly traced soap into a container and add the clay, mix thoroughly to make sure there are no clumps, add the mixture back into the main body of soap and mix well.

Thanks so much for both of your supplies! I may wait on using the steric acid, I have had enough trouble without adding another variable that will speed up my batch!

So glad this topic came up. I know somebody that always uses stearic acid but, he is HP only and he doesn't melt it first. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back