Sscuff-proof lib balm labels??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapsugoii

Reaction score
I have a laser printer at home and currenty use white glossy labels from onlinelabels.com. Only problem is, the ink rubs off after a while in my pocket. I bought some acrylic clear coat spray, and that seems to help a bit, but not 100%.

I see waterproof labels on the website. Would those be scuff-proof if I printed them at home, or is a professional printing company the only way to get a scuff-proof label?

I've read comments about printing labels and then laying a clear label sheet over the printed one so the ink is protected. Of course, this is going to up the cost and require a little more time to do the labels. You'd have to make sure the clear sheet is lined up with the printed sheet.

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Maybe you can find an inexpensive laser printer. I bought mine for $75 a few years back. I am a teacher and I used my laser printer to print on overhead transparencies. The laser toner doesn't smear like an inkjet ( the inkjet transparencies would smear if I tried to clean them between classes).

Thanks for the responses guys :) I'm using a laser at home. It doesn't smear per se, more like, scuffs off. I switched to waterproof labels this week and that seems to have helped quite a bit. Not 100% tho. I also started to use t-perf shrink wrap on the tubes, so that provides some protection. And as an additional step I spray it with a krylon clear coat. I'll probably just get them professionally printed at some point but this will do for now.

I used to use waterproof labels and my only complaint was the scuffing. BUT... I do not have a laser printer so maybe the ink was not completely absorbing? I don't know.... but I do know the ink did scuff for me. Now I just use kraft paper and a Krylon spray.

Labels are a constant struggle for me. I do have an inkjet, so choices are limited. Waterproof does not seem to be quite waterproof enough.

You can use the label protectors like Hazel suggested or you can buy clear contact paper, lay you printed label sheet face down on the sticky side of the contact paper, cut around each label and pull the backing off. You have to get it right the first time because pulling the label sheet off the contact paper will probably damage the label. This will keep them from scuffing, but it is not moisture proof. I use these on my shampoo labels, but sooner or later, the moisture gets behind the label.

You can use the label protectors like Hazel suggested or you can buy clear contact paper, lay you printed label sheet face down on the sticky side of the contact paper, cut around each label and pull the backing off. You have to get it right the first time because pulling the label sheet off the contact paper will probably damage the label. This will keep them from scuffing, but it is not moisture proof. I use these on my shampoo labels, but sooner or later, the moisture gets behind the label.

Yea, I will try Hazel's suggestion for sure if the T-perfs won't work. And right, they tout the waterproof labels as perfect but scuff they do, even with a laser. I'll have to get them professionally printed at some point, for quality's, but I'm going to try to put that off as long as possible. lol. This obsession takes a lot of money!

wow... that's pretty good. And here I thought I had tried everything ;)

Latest posts

Back