Spots in soap... could it be undissolved silk??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapsugoii

Reaction score
Ok, so I recently tweaked my recipe and added both silk and cocoa butter. I'm wondering if these spots in my recent batches could be from undissolved silk, or the cocoa butter somehow? I have experience with air bubbles and for some reason I don't feel like they are, as the pours have been really smooth and silky. What do you think they could be? The purple bar has it the worst, but most of the recent batches have had a few. They're like little pimples. It's sooooo annoying :(

And for you silk users, does your silk dissolve COMPLETELY, or is it just a tiny bit cloudy in the lye water after the silk dissolves??

Soap spots.jpg

Soap spots 2.jpg

The top pic spots actually look like they might be air bubbles to me, but it's hard to tell just from the picture. Can you pick off the little pimples and rub them between your fingers?

The bottom pic looks like classic stearic spots to me. I get those if I soap too cool with my coca butter and other hard fats.

IrishLass :)

That makes sense! I thought I was soaping too cool. I'll raise the temp. And do you ever pour at a thick trace intentionally? I'm not really going for swirls righ now, and the batches I pour at a thicker trace tend to have less bumps. Or you're right, they do seem like air bubbles. Anywho, if the batter is really thick I usually don't seem to get any, or am I just imagining that. Hehe.

The top spots look exactly like the ones I get when cutting pretty much as soon as I unmold the soap, if I am patient enough and wait a day or two it dosent happen just run your finger over them and it should all smooth out. Also in agreeance with Irishlass the bottom look like the classic steric spots Itoo use cocoa butter in all my soaps and when soaping cool they usually turn up :0). I also pour at a thicker trace unless intending to do some swirling ect and yes I believe it helps but most effective is soaping those harder oils a little warmer

Thank you Lynn! It's a blend of merlot sparkle and uv blue from BB. And I can't wait to get home tonight and try another batch! I cut the black soap when it was still a bit warm. I'll let it cool fully this next time. Ill let y'all know how it turns out.

Quick update. I soaped hotter and no static spots! Let it cool before cutting and still had some air bubbles tho. Gotta tackle those. :(

Back